Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have my 1990 F350 crew cab (full 4 doors) off the frame and stripped of parts...glass, doors, interior. I want to roll it onto its side, in my shop, to work on the underside.

Have others done this? Are there structural concerns (oddly loaded parts of the cab buckling)?

Thanks,

Roy

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If it were me I'd buy or build an A frame then use two 4" cargo straps to with a oak 4x4 run inside the doors from front to rear, with whatever blocking was needed to distribute the load evenly. Then you could lift that side to rotate it 90* and lower it onto the needed cribbing to support it while working.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the needed cribbing to support it while working.
What do you think that cribbing would look like?

I guess, the issue is, when the cab is on its side, what points on the cab can be trusted to carry the load?

Care to guess what the cab weighs?

Roy

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Where to support it is gonna be a judgement call using the internal structure as your guide, I "think" the key would be spreading out the contact area as large as is feasible.
I would make up the cribbing assy. while it is sitting before lifting,building the base first then the contact pads and last whatever it takes to connect the two with 3 or 4 layers of cardboard as cushions.
My '68's crew is between 750# and 1,000# from what I remember when I was doing this 25 years ago, it was the bulk more that the weight that gave me issues.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Instead of putting it on its side, have you considered putting it on its back. Might be less stress than rolling onto the side if you have adequate room. And as Steve pointed out it won't be light. Most of us common folks have a hard time handling half a ton.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Lifting as char suggests might well be easier,less "gymnastics" for sure you could fab a pair of fixtures that bolt to the two front door hinges that stick out far enough to hook to with your lifting rigging.
I would feel safe enough with that to keep a fair amount of load on it land it just solidly enough that it is good and stable.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
DSCF3346.jpg DSCF3345.jpg DSCF0788.jpg DSCF0790.jpg DSCF0789.jpg

I used the front and rear cab mount bolt points.
Point to remember is Ford metal is thin and easily dinged.
Could look at a couple of large "L's"bolted to the mount points and out to one side so it rests on the L instead of the cab. Bit of welding involved.
The rocker sills would be strong enough to roll the cab over, place it on old tyres then a couple of more tyres along the roof edge. May have to pack the roof ones up a little to keep the curve of the body of the ground.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent. Thanks, guys.

I wanted to roll her back, as suggested, but my shop isn't tall enough.

As this project progresses, I am constantly amazed about how much every darn thing weighs.

Tires sound good.

I think (hope) between the rocker area, the cowl, and the aft pillar (with a bit of the load on the B pillar), I'll be OK.

Roy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts