Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people have as far as part numbers and images for alternatives to the OEM liquid/rubber 4BT motor mounts? We are putting an isuzu into a land cruiser and trying to figure out which mounts to use. Do people have pics? Not interested at this point in 6BT mounts. Would prefer something more like the 4 cyl where they are larger and liquid filled and really let the motor bounce around..

Thanks,
Andre

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am currently on the hunt for some vib. isolators for my 4bt FJ60 project(finally I am getting close to placing the engine). I was looking at some mercedes ones off of an early eighties 300TD, I am not sure if they are liquid filled or if they will hold up to the weight or vibration. I was thinking they were made for a diesel so maybe they would be ok for the 4bt, interested to hear any opinions/experirences with these or others like them.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts on this are two isolators for lesser weight-rated engines would work. Problem with this is they are bulky (two on each side). But this would work IMO..

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you treat the isolators like springs then the overall stiffness of the system is reduced by 1/2 if they are mounted in parallel, which would let the engine really shake on the mounts and hopefully not transmit too much to the frame... I might have to try to fit them in there and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If you treat the isolators like springs then the overall stiffness of the system is reduced by 1/2 if they are mounted in parallel, which would let the engine really shake on the mounts and hopefully not transmit too much to the frame... I might have to try to fit them in there and see what happens.
If they are mounted in parallel, the spring (or damping in this case) constants are added. If in series, I forget the exact formula, but it will get softer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my mistake, got them mixed up, in series they add as 1/k1+1/k2=1/k3 so if k1=k2=k ---> k3=k/2, and in parallel they just add. Stacking them is out of the question so I'm still interested to hear what others used/like.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Some of the F150s with 4.9 EFI had liquid filled mounts too.
IIRC about 1990-1993
Ford stopped using them for the last few years for some reason.

My 95 Ranger 4 cyl had liquid filled mounts. The transmission crossmember had not only a normal tranny mount, but also had a bushing on either side of the frame. This was a 2.3L OHC 4 cyl with no balance shafts, it was very smooth in operation.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Some of the F150s with 4.9 EFI had liquid filled mounts too.
IIRC about 1990-1993
Ford stopped using them for the last few years for some reason.

My 95 Ranger 4 cyl had liquid filled mounts. The transmission crossmember had not only a normal tranny mount, but also had a bushing on either side of the frame. This was a 2.3L OHC 4 cyl with no balance shafts, it was very smooth in operation.
Those ranger mounts dampen the vibration pretty well IMO, I'm just not totally sure on the durability.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Those ranger mounts dampen the vibration pretty well IMO, I'm just not totally sure on the durability.
What would happen if you ran two per side for durability? Especially if you blew them up in one year. Or would that transmit more vibration?

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
This is what I use.
They're industrial anti-vibration mounts and work very well with the 4BD1T. Cheap too.
I have four, two on the engine and two at the other end of the transfer box.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Dougal-

Happen to have a part number, specs, sources, etc. for those mounts?

My current track is to use the P-30 hydraulic mounts, but I'm somewhat concerned about availability in the future.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know were he got them, but they have something similar at McMaster-Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

search for:
anti-vibration mounts

p 1314 of their catalog

I wonder how they compare to the fluid mounts...

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
Dougal-

Happen to have a part number, specs, sources, etc. for those mounts?

My current track is to use the P-30 hydraulic mounts, but I'm somewhat concerned about availability in the future.
No sorry I don't. I'm in New Zealand so even if I could pull out a number, it'd be no use to you.

But they're almost identical to early rover car mounts, straight swappable with rangerover mounts. I get them from an engineering and transport supplier, they come in a range of sizes from tiny to huge.
These ones are 3" diameter and about 1.5" thick. Studs are M10 each side.

Less than $US10 each too.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
No sorry I don't. I'm in New Zealand so even if I could pull out a number, it'd be no use to you.
I'm not above paying more in shipping than what the part cost, if the part does what I need it to and the total is less than / on par with the other options..

And I am constantly surprised with what can be cross-referenced nowadays. (And, even more so: What can't...)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Vibration

http://www.tadiesels.com/mounts.html. Go to this websight and check these mounts out. This is what i used and my truck is running now and i must say they are great. I have a little vibration at idel speed but nothing after that it is as smooth as silk... My convershion is an 85 Gmc half ton. Not the greatest for frame strength. I boxed the frame only in the motor mount locations and added a cross member right under them. So far it is awsome no issues at all. The thing with these mounts is they give you a little adjustment up and down to find that sweet spot where the load is distibuted evenly between the mount.

can anyone tell me where to go on the sight to make a donation or pay
so i can post some more pics of what i did.

·
Registered
808 Posts
http://www.tadiesels.com/mounts.html. Go to this websight and check these mounts out. This is what i used and my truck is running now and i must say they are great. I have a little vibration at idel speed but nothing after that it is as smooth as silk... My convershion is an 85 Gmc half ton. Not the greatest for frame strength. I boxed the frame only in the motor mount locations and added a cross member right under them. So far it is awsome no issues at all. The thing with these mounts is they give you a little adjustment up and down to find that sweet spot where the load is distibuted evenly between the mount.

Go right to the top of the Main Forum and Click on Announcement or here is a direct link for joining/paying

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/announcement.php?f=2

Paul

·
Registered
477 Posts

I like those. Which version did you use? Is your motor front or mid mount? Do you remember what they cost?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts