Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,025 Posts
That's really cool and looks to be running great. Great to see it out and about. Are those skidoo trails you're buzzing around on?

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Pretty cool piece of machinery you've got there. There was one for sale outside of Fillmore CA a few years ago that I looked at. It had came back the Antarctica and would have needed a lot of work to even get running. It's name was "Eddie." I think it had a Industrial Ford 4 cyl engine . Not a Pinto Motor.

Randy

Reactions: AbelLMTV

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That's really cool and looks to be running great. Great to see it out and about. Are those skidoo trails you're buzzing around on?
It's an entrance to a main forest service road but yes, snowmobiles and snow cats and skiers all share the same entrance...

On a sidenote I purchased some brand new zexel injectors to replace the existing ones with 250k miles on them. It may quiet the motor down a bit, it may not. I thought I would give it a try....

·
Super Moderator
9,025 Posts
There were three of those near me with an old guy who used to run snow tours with them up a mountain. They're pretty much dormant now and last used on a rescue mission when a 4wd group (38 people including kids) got stuck in a snow storm. The poilce and air-force were screwing around with bringing in helicopters (weather was no good) and snow-groomers (were taking days to transport them there). In the mean time the old guy was up all night checking the machines over, had a minor heart attack and drove in and got them:

Here's a video of them being rescued by a D8 dozer that went in a month or so later, chained all the broken vehicles together and dragged them out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
There were three of those near me with an old guy who used to run snow tours with them up a mountain. They're pretty much dormant now and last used on a rescue mission when a 4wd group (38 people including kids) got stuck in a snow storm. The poilce and air-force were screwing around with bringing in helicopters (weather was no good) and snow-groomers (were taking days to transport them there). In the mean time the old guy was up all night checking the machines over, had a minor heart attack and drove in and got them:

Here's a video of them being rescued by a D8 dozer that went in a month or so later, chained all the broken vehicles together and dragged them out.
It never ceases to amaze me how dumb people can be at times. Even we know not to go out further than 5 miles if we are alone with no other catters with us...

·
Super Moderator
9,025 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how dumb people can be at times. Even we know not to go out further than 5 miles if we are alone with no other catters with us...
Yeah these guys were unprepared for snow (vehicles setup for mud with tyres that go hard in the cold and snorkels that got blocked with snow etc) and were very lucky. They were warned several times on the way into the mountains too. My Dad went in on a skidoo and watched the recovery effort. It was staggering what went on.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts