Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 4BT into a Chevy S10 Blazer, and me and my mechanical friend have been having a "healthy" discussion about weather or not the NV3550 transmission will stay together.

Gross Vehicle (Curb) weight: 3776 lbs
Occupants : Up to 1080 lbs
Transmission (NV3550) weight: 110 lbs
Engine 800 lbs
------
Total 5766 lbs

Not to mention that the torque for the NV3550 was rated at 300 ft/lbs of torque (though) most say that's a conservative number)

Also this vehicle will be a daily driver, no towing or rock crawling. I say the the transmission will bomb on principle of weight and torque alone, what do you think?

Pantherman

·
Registered
915 Posts
It is probably a question of how long which is a question of your driving habits and if you can stay out of the pump on your 4BT. If you can do the later and drive conservatively with no clutch dump burnouts, it will probably go forever. That said, who wants to build something you have to baby constantly.

I think the bigger question is how you are planning on the truck supporting the weight and height of the engine. It will definately need spring upgrads and I would pay close attention to the ball joints. I am also curious how you plan to get it under the hood. I would take some measurements and figure out if there is even a chance. I have a turbocharged V8 in an S-10 with a custom 5 inch cowl hood to clear the bonnet as well as having an 87 chevy with a 6BT....so I am familiar with what you are trying to do. I bet a 4BT is as tall or taller than my engine, and I have zero room to drop it lower. It is not feasible to cut the crossmember on the S-10 for more clearance unless you have a chassis jig to do so. The entire front frame and crossmember are a compete welded piece.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We already went over that, he's agreed to beef up the front suspension, the suspension itself is gone to be replaced by a SFA and a liftkit is going to be added.

Pantherman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts