Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Great forum here with all sorts of good info. I searched quite a bit and couldn't resolve or find the resolution of adapting a SAE 2 to NV4500. Well not completely true, there is a adapter by Quickdraw but he doesn't have a flywheel design. If I have a SAE 3 flywheel housing then I can run a stock Dodge clutch. I have a 1979 4-53T with the SAE 2 flywheel housing and a 14" clutch capable flat flywheel that came from a 1979 Chevy C60 but finding a clutch combo to fit the larger flywheel with the 1 1/4" 10 spline Dodge diesel input what on the NV4500 is proving challenging. Anyone find some solution to this or does everyone swap to a SAE 3 flywheel housing? I have emails out to several clutch people and will let everyone know what I find. Really not wanting to change the flywheel housing.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Not sure if it would help your situation but there is an optional aftermarket 1-3/8" input shaft. Several companies offer those such as Valair and South Bend. I also assume you need to match the pilot bearing in the flywheel to the NV4500. That may not be quite as hard as the clutch disc. It's interesting that companies like Quickdraw have all the adapter parts but make no mention of the clutch. Would there be any issue using an SAE3 clutch disc with an SAE2 pressure plate? The standard Dodge Cummins disc is actually SAE3 size.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if it would help your situation but there is an optional aftermarket 1-3/8" input shaft. Several companies offer those such as Valair and South Bend. I also assume you need to match the pilot bearing in the flywheel to the NV4500. That may not be quite as hard as the clutch disc. It's interesting that companies like Quickdraw have all the adapter parts but make no mention of the clutch. Would there be any issue using an SAE3 clutch disc with an SAE2 pressure plate? The standard Dodge Cummins disc is actually SAE3 size.
That is what I asked South Bend in my emails to them if I could use the stock SAE 2 clutch pressure plate from the Chevy C60 the engine came from and use the SAE 3/Dodge pressure plate. Quick Draw is an awesome company, had many emails with Chad, the owner, if this was a SAE 3 engine/flywheel he makes flywheels and then you use the stock clutch. May be some trial and error but I will get there eventually. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
I personally don't think there's be an issue using an SAE3 clutch disc in combo with an SAE2 pressure plate. That way there'd be no problem with the transmission shaft splines. Like I mentioned, the Dodge Cummins flywheel assembly is listed as an SAE3 type. There were even 2 sizes of clutch discs used depending on year. The NV4500 came with a 12.25" clutch disc which has the 1.25" x 10 spline shaft input. The company Valair has a 13" clutch disc that has the 1.25" input shaft in one of their kits. Don't know if it's available separately. The other option I mentioned is change the input shaft assembly to a 1.375" x 10 spline and then you'd use the 13" clutch disc from a Dodge Cummins NV5600 which gets you pretty close to an SAE2 size. I think you'd still use the SAE2 pressure plate. The experts would be able to advise you on that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lingle------I don't see any real teason not to use the 13" clutch disc with a 14" pressure plate, but I'd lay a used sample together, just to see how much area you might lose .

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't think the input shaft is long enough on the nv4500 to use the SAE setup. Have you done some depth measurements?Usually an SAE setup will require an input shaft length of 9.625'' from face of trans to end of splines.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The source of my bellhousing adapter has done most of that work already so I trust he has done the work but for sure I will be inspecting those. I just received the bellhousing adapter yesterday, and am still searching for a transmission. I will say, the bellhousing adapter is very short, and the NV4500 has a 7 5/8" long input shaft. Once I finish acquiring all the components for sure I will be checking things out. I have found several people using Quick Draw Brand's SAE3 to NV4500 adapter, and theire SAE2 is the same depth as the SAE3 so I do not think I should have any issues, but time will tell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lingle-----SAE standard from butt of crank to face of flywheel housing is approximately 3 15/16ths" , regardless if # 2, 3 , 4, give or take for crank thrust .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Steve-------The military multifuel engine that is coupled to The Spicer 3053 transmission uses a modified 2-3 adapter ring . You can probably find one fairly cheap and modify it to your needs .

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update! After searching most of the upper modest I finally found a "core" NV4500 so I could purchase a reman one. Those things are terribly hard to find. Neighbor had a new to him mill with digital readout so we drilled and tapped the 8 new holes so I could use the complete stock Dodge clutch setup. Vientiane the flywheel is as the machine shop to resurface it but everything is lining up. Took a bunch of measurements to ensure it all bolts together...and it will! Quick Draw adapter is short enough to put the input shaft right where it needs to go.
More photos and a diagram when I get the flywheel back and transmission reinstalled.

Here is the flywheel showing the new 8 bolts. the wear surface from the old truck clutch was actually fairly deep, so off to get the whole surface machined. The Dodge pressure plate fits with about 1/4" to the inner open area so should work perfectly. also was able to find a replacement bearing to put in the inner bore, with the pilot bearing inserted into that for the input shaft.
F8DD5F89-3BA7-4A34-BCD3-8F44EC859F8C.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts