Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm attempting to mate a standard SAE# 3 flywheel housing to a 3053A. I will be using this transmission along with a brownie behind both a 6V53T Silver and a 3-53T Silver.

What I'm trying to figure out is a part number for an SAE# 3 flat automotive flywheel for 53 series Detroit. I've run across some Gama Goat flywheels but they seem to have a heavy offset built into them that moves the flywheel towards the transmission. I have a few SAE# 2 flats here and they don't have any offset built into the engine side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For future search reference I'll add the photos of the flywheels I purchased and the part numbers. These are the flat automotive SAE 3 flywheels used in log skidders. Detroit Diesel part number 5109238. The clutch wear area makes them look like they have a raised outer ring but they are in fact dead flat across the face.

If my research is correct these should accept a standard clutch kit intended for a 1995 GMC C7000 Topkick with the 6.0L V8 which is readily available from Rock Auto at a very reasonable price. I'll confirm this when my clutches arrive.

Hopefully this information may help someone in the future.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Richard,

You say that you have some SAE#2 flat flywheels.... any automotive ones for a 14" clutch?

David

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two but both are committed to engines. Are you looking for one or do you just need a part number?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll cross check the book against what I have here and get a part number for you on Monday. I'll also check my used sources and see if they have one for you.

We should talk. I'm using an ESO66-7B in one of my projects too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I pulled the plug on my project today. Sad, but it's been 9 years of having my garage so plugged up that I can't even change oil indoors. The truck and transmission are going to be scrapped. The transmission needed nearly $2000.00 in parts and was missing the factory tag. It had been repaired already and had mismatched taper lock and non taper lock parts in it. The 4-53T is disassembled and I will try to sell what I can of it. It is a 50438301 and the serial number is 04D0301193. That translates to a 1996 assembly date. Anyone interested, I'm on the central Oregon Coast.
David

·
Registered
38 Posts
so does that mean that the 4-53 has a different flywheel than the 3-53? I'm asking because I've got a friend that has a 4-53, and he's needing a flywheel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i appreciate the information. the reason i asked the second question, is because i would think the the 8v and 4-53 were the same. There is definitely room for confusion when comparing engines in a V configuration vs. in-line, with engines with different cylinder volume.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts