Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasn't quite sure where to put this so this looked like as good a place as any . . .

just got back from a heavy truck wrecker and found this little piece of info,

SAE flywheel housings from the Cummins 8.3L (6ct/ISC) will bolt up to 6bt/ISB engine. Which will work for up to 2002 Dodge Cummins engines but apparently not the Dodge Common Rail engine. Only the Dodge version Common Rail though. Dodge in their infinate wisdom had Cummins change the bolt pattern on the block for the Common Rail engine.

So it looks like I will be able to bolt my 01 5.9 engine to the Fuller 15 spd overdrive tranny that I have.:)

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
And in reverse engineering methodology it would also mean a 6CT can be fitted with a NV4500.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Are we talking about flywheel housings or clutch housings?
Sounds like flywheel housings, the part that bolts to the back of the block, and if so I'll change the title to reflect that?
(Edit: changed title)

Grigg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, yes, I meant the flywheel housings for the 6bt and the 6ct engines are the same bolt pattern to bolt the flywheel housing to the engine block.

I finally got a chance to go to a local heavy truck wrecker, brought with me the flywheel housing off of the 01 Dodge 24v Cummins that I had to see if I could match the bolt pattern up to the 8.3 engine. I had previously been unsuccesful in finding anyone that could tell me for sure that the BT and CT engines shared the same block pattern. I was actually pleasantly surprised, the guy I met at the wrecking yard didn't give me a blank stare and then tell me that Cummins never made the part I was looking for when I explained the conversion that I was trying to do. He actually understood what I was trying to get and really new his big truck parts, he confirmed for me that the two engines shared the same block pattern and started going into detail on some of the differences, showed me an 8.3 engine for comparison. He didn't have what I needed but he hooked me up with another guy at a tranny shop that did, now I am back in business and can move forward on project "General Heavy Hauler". I was starting to get concerned that I wasn't going to be able to couple up the 15 spd to the 5.9 engine or that it was going to cost me way more than I had anticipated.

·
Vendor
2,599 Posts
Just curious, why a 15 sp? I have a FS 6106 E/F and 1st gear is around 9 to 1. Is it cause you have the 15 sp. or how much weight you are towing? Thanks for ISC/ISB info.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a complete running Freightliner truck that I am going to strip the body off of and put a Kaiser M715 body on for a tow rig. The truck has the 15 spd in it, 40,000# Rockwell axles, but the Cat engine in it is physically to large to fit in the 715's engine bay so I want to swap the ISB engine into it.

As far as towing load goes, for the most part it will be way overkill for what I need, 90% of the time it will just be towing my CJ or my AMX around but a few times a year a group of us goes on some long distance wheelin trips and I figured it would be cool to be able to put 2 or 3 or 4 trucks on a trailer and haul them all. Then the towing fuel bill can be split between more people and costs us all less to get to our destination.

The downfall is going to be that I will end up being one of very few of my friends that will legally be able to drive my tow rig, due to the air brakes and the wieght restriction on a regular drivers licence, so I will end up driving all the time.

·
Vendor
2,599 Posts
Cool. Please put in buildup section when you start this, would like to follow. Know what you mean about restrictions. When I look for the large Fords if they dont have hyd. I dont even bother, which knocks out some F-700s and almost all F-800s. I picked up a 93 f600 for 1600 with only 144k, going to make a cool toyhauler.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
OK, we have something running amuck here

There seems to be something going on here that is not making sense. I posted this info on another site and got this reply:

txs said:
So what's going on with this seems that this isn't completely sorted out yet.
M715 tow rig: we need some additional info on what you found. A complete set of Cummins part numbers may finally solve this ongoing gray area.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess there is some confusion here. When I went to the wrecker, the guy I talked to pulled #2 flywheel housing marked with one of their tags for an 8.3 cummins I compared it to the the one I had brought with me off of my 2001 24v Dodge engine and they were the same but I only measured the one he pulled from the shelf.

At the time I was there I was on a mission to find a #1 housing for the 5.9 the rest that were on the shelf with it were also #2s so I didn't take a close look at them. I also went and looked at a couple of 8.3s in the yard but they also had #2s so I didn't look to closely.

I did not bother with any part numbers at the time because none of what I looked at was what I wanted.

I have since worked a deal to change my Road Ranger tranny from a #1 to a #2 housing and will be going back to the wrecker once I get the transmission changed over to get the rest of the #2 engine components.

I will look into this swap info more closely when I go to get my other parts, maybe the first housing I looked at was tagged wrong and was a 5.9 housing wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I did not question any of the info, I had dealt with him a couple of times he always gave me good advice and info. Everything else he has sold me has worked just right.

I apologize if I caused some confusion and gave out some bad info, I will definately update when I find out more either way.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
If it is possible please get the Cummins part numbers and the interchange applications for the SAE housing, flywheel, clutch assembly, etc. The yard I worked at decades ago had a "Hollander Interchange Guide" which listed the year range, model, etc of each major component. I think that is what everyone could use.

Picture attached is a Cummins 6CT rear view showing the block bolt pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm struggling with this too. I found a housing while on vacation, but without a 5.9 block kicking around I had no way of checking the fit. it was marked as from an 8.3C and had casting number 3926238.

Compared with the 'correct' housing on the sanco website, the bolt holes don't match, and starter sits lower :confused:

Attachments

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Your first picture In comparison to the picture in the previous post it looks like it's for the C series engine, not the B.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Flywheel housing from C series 8.3 will Not fit a B series 5.9.....We do make an SAE housing#2 and #3 for both engines.... the only common part is the crankshaft, bolt pattern and OD are the same...but I would caution everyone that there are different ring gears so proceed with caution..! Mallo

·
Registered
339 Posts
We have used 8.3 flywheels and housing on 5.9 for at least 15yrs not one problem with making work.

Dale

·
Registered
168 Posts
all I know is the back of the block on the two different engine families is not the same....crankshaft yes, block no.... unless our engineering at the factory is printing false info..and we have made numerous adapter plates... Not trying to argue, just pointing out some facts....I would be interested in see a photo or two...Mallo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just want to be sure.

We have used 8.3 flywheels and housing on 5.9 for at least 15yrs not one problem with making work.

Dale
By making it work are you redrilling the holes in the housing?

I guess there is some confusion here. When I went to the wrecker, the guy I talked to pulled #2 flywheel housing marked with one of their tags for an 8.3 cummins I compared it to the the one I had brought with me off of my 2001 24v Dodge engine and they were the same but I only measured the one he pulled from the shelf.

At the time I was there I was on a mission to find a #1 housing for the 5.9 the rest that were on the shelf with it were also #2s so I didn't take a close look at them. I also went and looked at a couple of 8.3s in the yard but they also had #2s so I didn't look to closely.

I did not bother with any part numbers at the time because none of what I looked at was what I wanted.

I have since worked a deal to change my Road Ranger tranny from a #1 to a #2 housing and will be going back to the wrecker once I get the transmission changed over to get the rest of the #2 engine components.

I will look into this swap info more closely when I go to get my other parts, maybe the first housing I looked at was tagged wrong and was a 5.9 housing wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I did not question any of the info, I had dealt with him a couple of times he always gave me good advice and info. Everything else he has sold me has worked just right.

I apologize if I caused some confusion and gave out some bad info, I will definately update when I find out more either way.
Any update to your project with this setup?

·
Registered
80 Posts
SMH .....

The flywheels are the same .. between 6BT and 6CT

the housings .. are NOT THE SAME unless you have the one in the attached pic that has all the holes in it ... (bobs already posted it ) f238_3.JPG

My 8.3 housing does not look like that and will not fit a 6bt ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts