Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cold air intake dictated a new air filter that I could put in a box in the same space and be able to plumb it to the base of the windshield. Chevy came to the rescue with the air filter from a C3500 with either the 6.5 or 454, last used I believe in 2000. MY local CarQuest had them in a Wix brand, $25.

Air Filter Bottom I.D. (Inches) : 3.58"
Air Filter Bottom I.D. (mm) : 90.93 mm
Air Filter Bottom O.D. (Inches) : 6.488"
Air Filter Bottom O.D. (mm) : 164.8 mm
Air Filter Height (Inches) : 11.122"
Air Filter Height (mm) : 282.5 mm
Air Filter Style : Air Filter
Air Filter Top I.D. (Inches) : Closed
Air Filter Top I.D. (mm) : Closed
Air Filter Top O.D. (Inches) : 6.488"
Air Filter Top O.D. (mm) : 164.8 mm

CarQuest pn: 88440
Baldwin pn: Rs3707

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I had the filter I began building ideas for the box. It's about 8" x 8" x 10" inches. The intake at the base of the windshield transitions from a 2.75"x4" rectangle to 3.5" diameter. I found a software that does "transitions" for $50 but being the cheap one I am, I enlisted the help from my wife, the newly graduated one with a Master's in Manufacturing Engineering, she found a workaround using free software. More on that later if any ones interested.
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2455749210036234067sWGqza][/URL]

So far the results seem to have been positive. Less smoke, less EGT's and not any extra noise on the inside.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That's kind of expensive for a filter....... of course I haven't priced them recently, either. I've never run a disposable in my truck on a regular basis. I ran a K&N for many miles, and then switched to a Fram Washable. I think I paid just under $30 for the synthetic Fram, but that was awhile ago..... still haven't washed it yet (but probably should).

The 350's should use the same filter, too, so it should be a commonly stocked filter.

That's a nice looking setup.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I didn't really "shop" around for price this time, but I don't change them that often either.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The cold air intake dictated a new air filter that I could put in a box in the same space and be able to plumb it to the base of the windshield. Chevy came to the rescue with the air filter from a C3500 with either the 6.5 or 454, last used I believe in 2000.
if i remember correctly, until 2004 the 6.5 was still available, at least for the express/savana vans...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your install looks great, I have a Humvee CAI I will add to my setup after I get all the install bugs worked out. Finding a filter that will work in the limited space I have to work with in the Scrambler will be fun :)

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This worked good for its intended purpose of improving the engine performance but, I park under a 80' tall pine tree and every thing I've tried has failed to keep pine needles from getting to the air filter. I tried a perforated sheet metal screen, that helped but still finding handfuls of pine needles on top of the air filter.
And when I removed the H1C for the HE221 install found the leading edge of the H1C compressor turbine had damage. I blame it on pine needles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cold air intake part 3

Got the idea from the Humvee. Almost purchased the air intake cap from one but you would think their gold plated or something, Too much money for my blood. The 4" diameter pipe of the humvee cap would have made a perfect fit on the Scout. So picked up a generic intake cap from a truck parts store, with a 5" diameter pipe. A little larger than I wanted but the price was 1/3 the cost of a Humvee cap and bigger is better right? The pipe on the cowl is 4.5" dia, it acts as a rain dam keeping water from coming in under the hood. What you don't see is a 5.5" x 6" box under that which seals the air intake from cowl, no more pine needles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Looks very nice, good job. Might even pick up a little mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I'm impressed. I have all my drivetrain finally ready and sitting on the garage floor. Hoping to start the swap within about 2 weeks. I'll be looking for some guidance from you. I really like this idea for an intake. I might need to copy it / pay you to make me one:)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Last July 27 we had 12" in 3 hours. That would really test it. There was water in places it hadn't been in hundreds of years. My house is on an elevated area and water was 50' from my back door, and I'm 900' from the creek. Very neat set up on the old scout.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Love this setup.

Would it be better if you could put that air filter in a bigger box or is the box sufficiently large? I thought you wanted air to be able to swirl around the filter so the filter is used evenly.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Were lucky if we get 6" of rain in a year!
And 8" of pine needles ;).

I stopped by this weekend to trade leftover 4BT parts - One man's junk is truly another man's treasure. The phrase: "80 foot pine tree" does not really capture the true size. It is very wide at the base, possibly the most massive pine tree that I've ever seen.

The hood snorkel looks great in person, and drives great.

This might be an expensive visit - now I want to do something with my wife's vapor locking (dang oxygenated fuel) / fuel guzzling Scout...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts