Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Scout running with the 4bt in it. I don't have a shift lever figured out for my NP205. I have the old Dodge one but there is no place to mount it up on the tranny and it just doesn't fit well. I think I should have kept my old Dana 20 stuff, but oh well it is gone. How did everyone else do it?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My NV had the goofy Dodge square shifter stub. I got a length of 1" square tubing, heated it up and pinched in the flats on one end, to take up the gap to the metric sizing. Then I welded on a shift lever from an old NP420 and bent it to shape. Had to weld up and grind a lot where the square tube and 420 shift lever were attached to smooth the transition.

Still wasn't tight enough so I lifted it slightly and drove some brass shim stock up into square tube to take up the slop. Bent the 420 shift lever to fit better with a torch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys have any pictures?

I should probably post some myself so everyone can see.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there an undrilled bump on the rear of the steel case

Main case of the nv4500 just below the shift tower to the rear on the drivers side . I am looking at mine and think it could be drilled and tapped for a shift lever. Just make sure that the bump is not part of the trans internals- I have not done this yet . On a few other non NV4500 trans in my shop this bump exists and is tapped for a shift lever or a trans brake.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Drill and tap some 1" or so aluminum round for 9/16-12 or whatever threads your shifter pivot bolt uses. Cut the round off at 1.5" or so and grind it fit the contour of the extension housing. TIG weld it wherever you want.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks

Here are a few pics. The Scout is running and if it weren't such an icy mess I would be fine but I need the 4x4. I'm sure it looks silly me driving in this Scout with 31 inch tires and a spring over axle spinning the rear wheels everyewhere i go. Also the 205 is a right hand drop case so I have to fab on that side.

As I was writing this my wife said the silly thing is not the Scout spinning the tires in the ice and snow, but the fact that it lacks a hood and needs a ton of body work. That never occured to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
My setup is a bit different with a ZF and driver's side drop but if you want some pics let me know.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The stock Ford NP205 shifter bolts up with a ZF/205. Putting a passenger drop t-case on an NV4500 makes you get creative, there's no bosses on that side of the tranny. All the t-cases used behind the NV4500 were driver drop.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For my passenger side drop T case, I made a "bridge" from the bosses on the driver side of the NV4500 to the passenger side. I bolted a peice of 1/4" plate to the bosses on the driver side. Welded a piece of 1.25" square tubing accross the top of the transmission- behind and below the top of the shift tower. Then another 1/4" plate that hung down from there. I then modifed a factory dodge T-case shafter assembly and linkage to fit my driver's side drop 241.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
you might be able to make something that bolts to the front of the transfer case and sticks forward for the sticks. I would think it would be fairly easy to make it twinstick also.
We need more pics of the scout, mines been sorta together for a couple months now and still no hood mounted!

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Advanced Adapter has a bracket that bolts onto the transmission flange that mounts an 88 - 93 Dodge NP205 shifter. Cost was less than $40 last time I checked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts