Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all, I plan on buying my folks 04 Dodge Durango in a couple months and have made up a general idea of what I would like to do with it. I have been putting some thought into swapping it’s 4.7 out for either a 4bt or 6bt and pairing it up with a manual tranny. I wanted to know what y’all’s opinions were on this swap and what you think some hurdles would be that I would possibly need to jump through to get a working diesel Durango. I have read though glitchyboys forum and I don’t know if he ever finished with his conversion.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I wrote this 3 hours ago in another post:

"Depending on where you live, the most difficult part might be getting the diesel swap emissions inspected and the truck registered.

For instance, the registration inspection lane in Reno, NV got all excited about the diesel clatter coming out from under the hood of my F150 - "The 1/2 ton truck never had a diesel". Explained that the travel trailer on my bumper was going to my son and ragged truck (and my ragged a$$) will return to Arizona."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s fair, I never thought about that, I’m gonna have to check what Illinois laws are on that, here’s to hoping they aren’t super stringent on this kind of thing

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
In some states, the emissions requirement varies by ZIP code, tighter rules in populated areas and looser rules in rural areas. The ZIP code appearing on the registration "usually" determines the requirements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, yea that makes sense, I have tried calling around to my local dmvs but I either get sent to some other number or am just told that they have no information regarding a diesel swap

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried for about an hour or so this morning and eventually got transferred to some Attorneys office that deals with traffic cases. I will give the dot another go tho in a little bit

·
Registered
409 Posts
In some states, the state police have a role in non-standard vehicle registration. I would expect your local police might be able to help with at least a phone number.

Roy

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If your state has a smog inspection station, might be worth stopping in with them to see what they might expect, however, in CO, they have not been very helpful with 'out-of-the-box' issues.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
If you work out the DOT you often are faced with a requirement that the engine must be the same age or newer than the vehicle. I would think a 6bt would be a problem in a Durango due to its size and weight. A 4bt might be more practical size wise although it isn't a feather weight. The new R2.8 might be possible but it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the one bright side of living in Illinois is that Diesel engines do not require emmesions testing regardless of what year they are made, so I would have to talk to the dot or someone to see if swapping would make my car emmisions exempt or not. I have seen some guys with Dakotas that have put 6bts in and have had to do a lot of modding, I suppose that it all depends on what my circumstances are, if I get to use one of my buddy’s shops then I really don’t mind custom Fabbing a stronger frame and the like

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
One issue might be axle strength. A 6bt weighs 1100 lbs. Usually pretty taxing on a half ton drive train. A 4bt is around 750 lbs which is a bit better. A lot of how axles hold up depends on how they are driven. The Cummins puts out a lot of torque at low RPM and can severely stress transmissions and other drive train components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea that was a concern of mine, if I do eventually go thought with this, I was thinking that the 4bt would be less work overall to be able to shove into the car. If I go and swap the engine though I’m going to also pull the trans and put in a manual from a Dakota most likely just to make sure that I have more control over what is happening through the drivetrain and I would also see if I can swap out the axles for something more robust as well

·
Registered
272 Posts
About 15yrs ago while on a shuttle bus in Washington, the driver told me about how he was jumping up the performance on Mercedes, & making them really hot , might look into that , good luck, Robert

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you work out the DOT you often are faced with a requirement that the engine must be the same age or newer than the vehicle. I would think a 6bt would be a problem in a Durango due to its size and weight. A 4bt might be more practical size wise although it isn't a feather weight. The new R2.8 might be possible but it isn't cheap.
If your looking for a engine for your Durango,I think the 2.8 would work? It’s smog legal and you can buy one from drawbar diesel out of Ohio for about $7000 .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your looking for a engine for your Durango,I think the 2.8 would work? It’s smog legal and you can buy one from drawbar diesel out of Ohio for about $7000 .
Sorry I have been away from WiFi for quite a while now, what is included with that 2.8? Is it just the motor?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts