Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an option on 1 of 2 trucks i could buy and i need some advise. both have 4bt engines.
Truck #1--- $200
Siezed engine/Man. tranny.
The owner said a former employee of his filled up with unleaded gas and the motor seized. I didnt look at the engine but he said that it didnt punch any holes in the block or do any catostrophic damage as far as he could tell.
Truck #2--- $1500
Good engine/Auto tranny.
The owner said this was one of his best running trucks, however the injection pump started leaking. He took the pump from Truck #1 and put it on #2. He was never able to get it started. He also said he didnt know much about diesels. So I figure it just needs to be primed/timed. I don't know how many miles are on it, but he said it ran great a did not smoke.

I am leaning towards #2 for a few reasons:
I am using an auto tranny so this one has all the proper adapters.
most likely its just need 30 min of work to time and prime to run perfect
I cost a lot up front, but it should run with the above mentioned

any opinions or advice?
what could be wrong with #1?
or should i just buy them both and keep the motors and sell the rest of the truck as scrap metal?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I'm thinking the "get 'em both" option is where I'd be, all other things being equal. If you've got the shop space, storage space, can spare the $1700 for a while, and time...

Worst case: Even if both engines are junk, you've still got less into the two trucks than their scrap value.

Middle of the road case: You wind up with a good engine and lots of ancillary stuff (turbo, injectors, IP, adapters, mounts, etc.) for free or even turn a profit.

Life's really good case: The "seized" engine isn't, or can be "unstuck". NEVER underestimate the power of penetrating oil and patience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is this a serious question?? Buy em both! You'll MORE than make back your $200 on the truck with the questionable engine..

Good Luck

RW

·
Registered
54 Posts
........... He took the pump from Truck #1 and put it on #2. He was never able to get it started. He also said he didnt know much about diesels. So I figure it just needs to be primed/timed........
Okay; so he put a pump full of unleaded gas on #2........

Get them both.

Plan on rebuilding the pump, cleaning the injectors and purging everything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
He Got It Hot And Siezed A Piston. Probably #4 Hole. Dont Believe The Gas Story......... Imo
Bob

So that must be why the injection pump from that motor won't work anymore too then, huh? The guy is offering to sell the truck to Blazin_K5 for $200, why would he lie about why it's tied up?? :pissed:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I finally got both trucks. I paid $1650 for them. Aluminum goes for an average of $0.60/lb here, so I should easily make back what I paid. It took a little longer to get the trucks, I finally showed up with the cash in my hand and he said he was having second thoughts on selling truck #2. After a week I called again and he said ok, come get them. He said he really didnt want to sell #2 because it was his best truck and he wanted to get it running again. This make me feel that the motor is in good shape and its just a minor injection pump issue. For #1 I guess I will start to tear the head of and try to break it loose. One last thing, obviously this guy knew nothing about diesels. when I asked him if he still had the leaking injector pump, he replied: "oh, it was bad, so I threw it away." WTF!!!!! oh well, I really only need one engine, but two would be nice!!!

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
"oh, it was bad, so I threw it away."
You did ask "how long ago?", right? Could've been sitting in the dumpster still. :rasta:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll give you $EDIT$ for the engine out of truck #1. Sight unseen, and have it shipped to me, or come and get it.

EDIT NOTE: Bartering in the Main Forum unless implemented by a vendor is prohibited by site rules. Use private mail in this instance.

Thanks,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts