Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1969 Grumman Yankee, Tailwheel Conversion, 160HP,

Hey guys Im selling my airplane. You need it.

I have a complete spec sheet if interested.

148KTAS Cruise speed, 1100Fpm Climb, 32 Gal usable. $36,000

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Yep, not enough room for a Lycoming corn cobb, or a Lyc Turbine.
what's the "corn cobb" you're talkin' about? about the lycoming boxers: i already know these engines, they're still widely used for agricultural aviation in southern brazil and for regional aviation in amazon... a lot of those old cessnas are still widely used in south america and fitted with these engines...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
corn cobb is slang for a radial engine, they built them many years ago. Lycoming and Continental still dominate General Aviation here in the States.

what's the "corn cobb" you're talkin' about? about the lycoming boxers: i already know these engines, they're still widely used for agricultural aviation in southern brazil and for regional aviation in amazon... a lot of those old cessnas are still widely used in south america and fitted with these engines...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice piece of Aviation Trivia!!! Touche!

The name also applied to some developmental engines from both Wright (dont know the designation) and Lycoming (XR7755.) My grand father was an engineer for Wright during the big radial days and I remember the stories of the "new" developments.

Im doing the annual right now, and as broke as I am I wish i was in Alaska. Seems to be alot more of those kinda things up there. Ill make you a deal right now!

Only engine I'm farmiliar with that was called "Corn Cob" was the P&W R-4360.

But I'm sure some call them all that (and some call T buckets "dune buggys" ;) ).

Nice looking Grumman.

"Pictures in recent flight", rumor has it that and the logbooks are all you need for some I/As to sign the annual. :eek:

Good luck with the sale. :)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Lycoming and Continental still dominate General Aviation here in the States.
i don't remember to have seen a lycoming pure turbine or a turboprop, but almost every small piston-engined aircraft in brazil also use either lycoming or continental 4cyl boxers, usually older ones with continental while for newer ones lycoming is the main option... and agricultural embraer ipanema aircrafts are fitted with the 6cyl lycoming...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Its wierd, but No one ever refers to them as boxers, always the more formal horizontally opposed. Lyc builds the turbine for the challenger 600 and I think the bae-146. And I think they build gas
turbines for the military; helicopters and maybe tanks

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Its wierd, but No one ever refers to them as boxers, always the more formal horizontally opposed.
maybe it's a cultural question... since the most easily avaliable horizontally-opposed engine in brazil is the vw aircooled, widely called boxer, it's not hard to see these engines being called boxer... and also subaru engines are widely called boxers...

·
3,907 Posts
Nice piece of Aviation Trivia!!! Touche!

The name also applied to some developmental engines from both Wright (dont know the designation) and Lycoming (XR7755.) My grand father was an engineer for Wright during the big radial days and I remember the stories of the "new" developments.
I remember stories of a P&W R-5600 (4 rows of 9 as opposed to the 4360 @ 4rows of 7) supposedly never made it off the drawing board. :(

Im doing the annual right now, and as broke as I am I wish i was in Alaska. Seems to be alot more of those kinda things up there. Ill make you a deal right now!
I haven't pursued my I/A (no reason to, I work for a 121 airline and it doesn't do me any good there) and I've only heard of people that will do the whole "pictures in recent flight" type of anual. Of course it also requires a significant ammount of a certain material in a plain brown wrapper, usually in smaller denominations, with non-consecutinve serial numbers.....:rasta:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts