Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost sure I'll be doing a semi-dry sump setup, with an oil filter relocation as well. Haven't been able to find a build on this yet, since most oil pans get modified a good bit instead.

Can I bypass the oil pickup by plumbing through the filter inlet? Or do I need to run oil pressurized through the pickup?

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're wanting to do. The filter inlet is after the oil pump and the outlet dumps back to the pan. A true dry sump system would have a belt driven oil pump that scavenges from a shallow pan and returns to a remote sump. One member has just built an aluminum pan that has an external pickup hose. It's plumbed in where the oil pan pickup would usually be. I guess that could work as long as the remote sump was lower than the pan so you'd get gravity drain back to the sump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not exactly sure what you're wanting to do. The filter inlet is after the oil pump and the outlet dumps back to the pan. A true dry sump system would have a belt driven oil pump that scavenges from a shallow pan and returns to a remote sump. One member has just built an aluminum pan that has an external pickup hose. It's plumbed in where the oil pan pickup would usually be. I guess that could work as long as the remote sump was lower than the pan so you'd get gravity drain back to the sump.
I want to fab a shallow pan and use an external pump. Just not sure how to feed the stock pump oil, or if the external could allow me to omit the internal pump. I guess set up a fitting going through the pan from the external pump into the internal pump is the route I'll take. Do you think the stock pump could pull from a remote sump with enough suction to scavenge the pan oil as well? I may be dreaming a bit big, and too far out of the box to use just the original pump.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Yes, what you want can be done using the internal oil pump. Look at this build and you will see an oil pan that is a work or art. In fact that whole build is worth reading. Oil pan construction starts on page 4. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?40257-1972-K20-6bt/page4 You'd just need your pan so it gravity feeds to the remote sump and a pickup hose attached to the sump. This pan has a hose that draws from the pan sump but could easily be remote as well. Now, what it will cost to build is another animal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boothybunch - I have the 3.9 with 105 hp.

Char1355 - I have been keeping up with that post and agree it is a work of art and great craftsmanship. But I guess I missed how he was routing the oil lines and assumed there would be an external pump for that setup.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
No, he's using the internal pump. Just routing the pickup outside the pan. Did that because of that notch he put in the pan for clearance. I bet he could make you a pan. Yours would be a lot less complicated without the rear sump and all those fittings. You'd just need the pickup hose fitting and a drain back fitting. The trick would be finding a location for the sump below engine level. Also, that sump would need a breather. Possibly could use a sump like the one for the hydraulic pump on a log splitter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts