Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have pics of the serial number on their block? I don't see one below the head or on the side of the block anywhere. I still have some paint to remove but I'm doubting there is one there. Is the number on the oil cooler housing a serial number? Why is it some blocks have serial numbers and some don't?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems to run along the lines of what I've seen. My engine should be a cpl 858 based on the pump numbers. Something like a 105hp vs a 120hp ve pump 4bt, is the only difference what they calibrated the pump at from the factory? Or are other engine parts different as well to meet that spec?

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
The 120 HP engine is the CPL 0857 and it comes with an aftercooler. I believe its injection pump is calibrated different. I have several CPL 0858 serial numbers. Can you tell me which injection pump you have? The 3 that I have are pump numbers 3911242, 3917530, and 3914924. Also, was the turbo in a top center position on the manifold or a low rear position. CPL 0858 came with both versions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is 3911242. Is that number for cpl 858 only? Turbo is low and rear. The van I got the engine out of was air to air intercooled which peaked my curiosity. It didn't look quite factory though, looks as if they added them later to the fleet possibly. If I remember correctly it was a 1991 Oshkosh wonder bread van.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
A serial number for an engine with the 3911242 injection pump would be 44258612. This particular engine was built in 1988 and came with the Ford transmission adapter and was equipped with a T19 manual transmission. Not sure what yours had. The CPL 0858 didn't come with an intercooler. Mainly, only the CPL 1839 had those, but engines got swapped out when one needed service and not uncommon to find a different one than the vehicle started out with. Here is an actual photo of this engine. Note that it also has a belt driven vacuum pump which was common on the Ford vans.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Military robot Gas

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes mine is ford pattern and had a t19 as well. It wasn't one of the E350 vans though, I believe it was an oshkosh mt35. It was also setup for hydroboost brakes. Here is a picture of when it was in the van. I haven't seen another van that has intercooler piping like this.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had bought a supposedly New 4bt from Big Bear engines. Nice new paint job, came with a ton of accessories. Price was good. Then came me looking for the numbers. None could be found. Later found it came from China. I said Hell No. Sold that engine first chance I could. Then sourced out another engine, with data plate installed. Now I feel 100 precent better. It is used, but I have peace of mind about it.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
You must remember that those engines are only built in China now. Hasn't been one made in the USA in about 15 years. Those engines are still under Cummins license but don't carry a serial number on the exported versions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had bought a supposedly New 4bt from Big Bear engines. Nice new paint job, came with a ton of accessories. Price was good. Then came me looking for the numbers. None could be found. Later found it came from China. I said Hell No. Sold that engine first chance I could. Then sourced out another engine, with data plate installed. Now I feel 100 precent better. It is used, but I have peace of mind about it.
I bought a nice paint job as well from the Colorado based engine company. New engine to date has had replaced.
2 turbos
2 starter motors
2 fuel shut off valves
2 lift pumps Note all Chinese no name components replacing Chinese no name components. New Engine now has extreme blow by and according to the engine company is all my fault. This $9K engine only has a few hours of run time on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a nice paint job as well from the Colorado based engine company. New engine to date has had replaced.
2 turbos
2 starter motors
2 fuel shut off valves
2 lift pumps Note all Chinese no name components replacing Chinese no name components. New Engine now has extreme blow by and according to the engine company is all my fault. This $9K engine only has a few hours of run time on it.
Yep, that is just what I wanted to avoid in the future. Will it hold out or will I regret this purchase for the rest of my life? So I thankfully sent it on the way bye bye. F China

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Guess you won't be buying any Holset HX30W turbos either since almost all of those come from China. I'm talking about the genuine units and not the cheap clones. Even if you went down to the Cummins store to buy one it would be from China. The Holset ones do have a serial number on them.

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts

Brand new HX30W made in England. Brand new Carolina built pop up frequently. I buy HE221W/HX27W/HX30W/HX32W and only buy USA/England made. Be patient. If not, PM.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Red, unfortunately that isn't the 44mm or 46mm version everyone is looking for in the HX30W. That one you show there is the 40mm version which was the smallest compressor on the HX30W. That turbo you 3592125 is also built in China as well as the USA or UK, Haven't really heard of any issues with the genuine Holset turbos coming out of China. Cummins QC is very strict on what they sell under their brand name. Now those tons of knock off versions that are super cheap tend to be junk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts