Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, on my ve pump I am trying to determine the correct way to set my pump to stock timing. My engine runs great but really rattles, the cold start valve is working right, I think that frito mybe has the timing set to advanced as my 4bt is louder than my brothers 24v. Do I need special tools,beyond the custom wrench? I did a search and could only find how to advance it from stock, I just want to get it back to stock or confirm that its there.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but my understanding was that the only way to actually set / determine current timing on the VE involves a "spill port timing procedure" which is best done at a diesel shop.. Requires tools that I don't think the average person's going to have in the shop.

From a post I found on TDR: "Cummins bulletin 3810348-01 and 3810486 covers the procedure, and 3377259 is the tool(s)".

As far as noise / vibration.. It's going to be louder than any of the 24V motors. It's actually going to have more vibration than any of the 12V motors, too. Nature of the beast. Noise wise, compare it to a 12V 1st gen Dodge. Should be similar.

Before I took it to a shop for the timing procedure, I'd probably do two things: First, check / adjust the valve lash. Then, if still louder / shaking more than I thought right, maybe consider either advancing or retarding the timing a bit from current to see if it changes for the better...

·
Registered
73 Posts
The OEM method of setting timing on a B Cummins involves the use of a special service tool that is basically a long stem dial indicator that measures plunger lift (in mm) at TDC. The serial tag will have this spec on it. If memory serves, it is 1.25mm at TDC for CPL 0858. After finding true TDC using a piston stop and degree wheel or the bent valve method, the engine is rolled off TDC, the indicator is installed in the pump head, the engine is rolled back to TDC, and, if the engine is timed correctly, the indicator will read 1.25mm or whatever the spec is on the serial tag. For best results, it is imperative that true TDC is verified. Do not trust that the timing pin is exactly at TDC, because it's not.

·
Registered
854 Posts
OK, my injection pump has to come off. It isn't moving any fuel at all.

Where can I get a text description for a R&R and to set the tming that I can print out?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
There's a step-by-step Bosche VE pump rebuild on one of the foreign car sites. I would have sworn I bookmarked it, but couldn't find it in my files! Seems to me it was a VW or Audi site, maybes someone else will remember where it is? Maybe start a new thread on 'Bosch VE Pump rebuild' and see who answers back....

·
Registered
854 Posts
There's a step-by-step Bosche VE pump rebuild on one of the foreign car sites.
It was for a VW and was in French.

I found R&R procedures on another thread but hey aren't clear.

I'm having a hard time believing I'm the only one who has had the pump quit working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts