Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a build up thread a while ago, but never really got around to posting up pictures of it. So I'll give it another shot.

here is the Jeep when I bought it. It's a 80 CJ7

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I got the body off I found the rear of the jeep frame to be rusted up.....I know a CJ's frame rusty??? Who would have guessed? So I started the cutting and grinding on that, while the body was off to the sand blaster.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started to get all the holes filled in with some 11 gauge steel for extra strength. I wanted to turn it into a pick up at this point, and to run a 108" wheel base. So I added on to the old frame with some 2x4" 1/4 wall steel and then sleeved the whole factory frame with 1/4 plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After all the patching It was time to set the front axle and engine in there to get my ride height. I went with Rubicon Express Extreme heavy duty SOA springs from the rear of a YJ. the motor mounts were for the 1st gen. Dodge ram. I just welded up some buckets for them to sit in. Simple design, but it works pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
It will look really nice once it's done. I like those simple motor mounts, too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
High Five, Very Nice!! Another member of the Getrag club:beer: :beer: , there's only a few of us. I hated it in my dodge but love it behind my 4bt!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is after I sprayed the inside and out with bed liner. This is the second truck I've had with this. It seems to hold up real well, and the best part is when you want to shine it up just wash and then spray with WD40!

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Awesome project, and excellent work you are doing! I'm wondering...is there a reason you started with a CJ-7 instead of a CJ-10? It would have saved you a fair amount of work. The military CJ-10s are usually rust-free to start with, already have a heavy frame, and are already diesel (although the Nissan isn't anything close to a 4bt...but it could have been swapped out). The frames are too short to start with, but you had to lengthen yours as well.

Keep the pics coming...I would love to get a 4bt into a Jeep someday...most likely an XJ though, or better yet, a Grand Wagoneer if I can ever find one with a good frame.

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome project, and excellent work you are doing! I'm wondering...is there a reason you started with a CJ-7 instead of a CJ-10? It would have saved you a fair amount of work. The military CJ-10s are usually rust-free to start with, already have a heavy frame, and are already diesel (although the Nissan isn't anything close to a 4bt...but it could have been swapped out). The frames are too short to start with, but you had to lengthen yours as well.

Keep the pics coming...I would love to get a 4bt into a Jeep someday...most likely an XJ though, or better yet, a Grand Wagoneer if I can ever find one with a good frame.

Jim
Hey thanks Jim. I really love the CJ 7's. I do quite a bit of work on them for local guys, so I wanted to stick with that.
I'm with you on the grand Wagoneer, that would be sweet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks freakin SWEET!!! What are you doing for a bed???

·
Registered
89 Posts
looks great man, I like how you rounded the tub to make it like a pickup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice build. I missed if you already said, but that does look like a brute body kit. Or are you building your own from scratch. Nice to get a look while it was down to the frame. Looked like one crazy time. I wouldn't mind taking my jeep down like that, but I don't think I have the money to do it right if I tear it down that far, so seems pointless. The problem I'm having isn't so much the money as I have so little time to get it done when I'm home. Otherwise it would take me years to finish it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tim, would you be my friend? LOL:D
I mean dude, I see the Harley's, the awesome lift, the sick shop, all the semi trucks, and now you have a 4bt jeep. It kind of brings a tear to my eye.
Now, all I need to do is get a 4bt for my Bronco, and move to Indiana...it's almost tempting. LOL

Seriously though, great job on the build. It looks like it's all coming together real nice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts