Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a ZF s5-42 transmission with the small block ford adapter. The transmission shop is resurfacing the flywheel and mentioned that for some flywheels they are selling shims to go between the flywheel and crank to make up for the what you have removed from the flywheel when using a hydraulic clutch. Do these shims exist for the 4bt/6bt? Where do you get them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ditto on the self adjusting hydraulic clutch. If it is necessary to remove a quantity of material from the flywheel sufficient to require a shim to make it serviceable again, then that flywheel should be replaced.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Precisely: Cummins warns against flywheel resurfacing on 4BT & 6BT engines. A very light cleanup to remove minor imperfection is the max allowable, and they don't even recommend that. I did a light cleanup on mine and no problems thus far. Had to send back one badly heat checked/cracked 6Bt flywheel, and that's a common thing with the 6BT wheels so watch out for it.

I mounted my slave cylinder directly to the side of my NV4500 by drilling/threading trans case. Adjustable pushrod, or various lengths of solid pushrod, takes up any slack.

·
Banned
427 Posts
it doesnt hurt a thing all cummins flywheels can be resurfaced and all you have to do at max is adjust clutch linkage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts