Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am building a 67 dodge a-108 van
i am looking to the 4bt for mileage and durability factors
currently it has a 318 and a 727 and is 2wd
it is getting a new frame to accommodate 4wd
with a long tail shaft 2wd 727 my rear driveline is about 30" long
i will be adding a np205 or a dana 300 transfer case
which combo will be shorter-727 hd or 400 w/ the adapter
since both can be used with the 6 bolt round transfer cases, i just need to have one built for my application
cost is not too big of an issue as the rig is years from completion, (i'm working on getting the frame build first, i'll get it running later)
the motor and tranny are the originals from 67 and have been sitting since 95
i might be able to get the motor running if i cared enough to rebuild the points, but for the $12 and 20 minutes, i'd rather put thousands of dollars into it
as for the tranny, it was old in 95, sitting dry is hard on auto's i have my doubts on how long it would last if it even worked now
since i need a new motor, a gas 360 is $3500 rebuild locally with new accessories and an rv cam, the tranny will run me about $1000 with a new t/c, so i'm in a gas hog $4500, or $5000 by the time i get the little thing ironed out, a 4bt is looking affordable
also the 318 block will go into my wheeler until it dies
any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated and if you know of a combo that i didn't think of, please let me know

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think an NP435 & Dana20 is about as short as you can get - check out the jeep sites for guys who built CJ5's with extremely short wheelbases.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i gotta use an automatic as the engine is between the front seats, and the tranny is by the back seat

·
Registered
89 Posts
i read somewhere that you can put a 208 behind a powerglide. so, that gets my vote. but, if you have a van why are you worried about length?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I believe one of the shortest possible auto/transfer case combinations is the C4 pan fill with a Dana 20. I know the Rat Rod guys use the C4 pan fill version behind those Chevy engines for that reason...... Not to steal the thread ...but I have a special bell housing to convert a C4 for a Chevy small block application if anyone is interested...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts