Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

381 - 400 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have these front mount motor mounts on my 4bt, does anyone see a problem in making these work or would it be better to build mid mounts?

My oil fill tube is blocking 2 bolt holes everyone typically uses on the driver's side, I guess that's something that can be blocked off and moved?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
When placing mounts on an engine, best to only use 3, one front using factory or similar and two on each side of flywheel housing at rear. Or one on each side, mid engine and another near trans., depending on engine balance. Using more than three puts a torque load on the frame which can lead to frame cracks.

When attaching a strong mount on each side of the engine to the frame, if the mount saddle terminates at 90 or so degrees at the top and side of the frame, much stress will be concentrated at the termination, again an opportunity for frame cracking. Best to gradually terminate saddle, feather out.

Ed

·
Registered
57 Posts
So that's a no? I was planning on using the fluid filled mounts with mid motor mounts, I was just checking before I chuncked this hunk of steel in the scrap pile.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Those look like stationary mounts to me, that means that there is little experience on this board with them. You are welcome to give them a go but you will be paving the way on to uncharted territory.

Mounts are unique to each chassis and are a hard thing to nail down on the first iteration. Go with the tested solutions if you are concerned about vibration or try something else if you have the time, money and are bold.

I've adjusted my mounts 3 time now and only after the 3rd adjustment are they nice and plush. This is because I got my hands on the Cummins install doc which specs roll frequency of the engine allowing me to science the **** out of my mounts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Who's block motor mounts are you using in the picture (not the Dodge rubber but the ones bolted to the block?

·
Registered
4 Posts
    Running a 8.2L Ford Cummins front mount on two liquid filled mid 80s Bronco mounts, with a mid 90s Buick strut rod to hold the engine up right. Works well, 80% of the vibration gone, I tow a camper just fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
How reliable are these mounts and when using them which type of trans mount would be best to use in conjuction the fluid units rubber or poly?
Always make sure the weight and torque of the engine is pushing straight down the center line of the fluid mount, they will last a long time. Push them with side force and they are done. That is why I am running the torque rod mount to take the twist out of the equation. I am using a HD GM single trans mount in the rear. 700R4 trans.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Always make sure the weight and torque of the engine is pushing straight down the center line of the fluid mount, they will last a long time. Push them with side force and they are done. That is why I am running the torque rod mount to take the twist out of the equation. I am using a HD GM single trans mount in the rear. 700R4 trans.
I'm running canted 1st gen mount's on a 5.9 so this would mean I'd have to change that configuration to right angle correct? I like the torque rod idea and I'm already using the 700r4 mount..

381 - 400 of 403 Posts