Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
401 - 412 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Picture of the Anchor 2548 attached.
Anyone else have issues with the 2548 failing from oil contamination? Doing a tranny swap and both of mine failed from engine oil on them. Maybe all the liquid filled fail from oil contamination?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's likely made of EPDM, or possibly a natural rubber blend. EPDM has become popular for belts and coolant hoses in the past couple decades. Suspension parts, too. It resists heat, ozone, and weathering better than many other rubbers, which is why it's so often used. Serpentine belts and timing belts used to be made from neoprene, but in the 90's manufacturers started converting them to EPDM to better tolerate higher underhood temps. The EPDM belts last longer, and don't harden, crack, and split like the neoprene belts used to. However, it has very poor resistance to petroleum/hydrocarbon oils. I don't know if the liquid mounts are made of EPDM, or of a cheaper rubber like a natural rubber (latex) and SBR blend similar to what tires are made from. Regardless, if you want to keep using the liquid mounts your only realistic option is to fix your oil leaks. Which really isn't a bad idea anyway.`

Reactions: SUBRUTUS

·
Registered
282 Posts
The plan is to fix the leaks. I think it was a turbo drain leaking, so it was kinda double kill on the mount....hot-oil.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,025 Posts
Here's my entry: 4BD1T into Classic Range Rover:

Designed them for max stiffness and minimum weight. Juggling the shapes and material thickness until I got about 1 mm of deflection under 1 ton vertical load each. The reason for this was to stop unwanted and uncontrolled jiggling up and down. Trying to keep all the movement in the isolators.

They went all to plan. But the plan had a flaw. I thought the mount bosses on the block were equal offset left/right (because why wouldn't they be right?). But they weren't so the engine sits more on one than the other.
I'll remake them next time I have the engine out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Durabak makes naval deck coatings among other coatings, their UV resistant coating can be used to coat rubber and is chem resistant too so perhaps this will protect those hydro mounts against oil damage too....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here are mine. I made them out of 3/16" plate I think. Actually, the plate piece is 1/2" that I got from eBay. Then I added the 3/16" plate for the 45 degree pieces. Minty welds tho! They are holding up just fine.
IMG_20210422_155520 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20210422_155527 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20210422_155538 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20210422_165918 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20210422_165932 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

However, I just lost a bolt out of the passenger side of the engine mount and its probably somewhere on I-5. LOL. Use loctite. haha!
IMG_20210422_165948 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What welding process did you use? Stick? Mig? Dual shield Mig? Flux-core?

401 - 412 of 412 Posts