Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 New Holland LS185B, 2011 ram Megacab deleted 6.7 with mini max
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the group, just purchased a 2005 Newholland LS185B with a bad Iveco 334tm2 engine (threw a rod and destroyed the crank) well long story short those engines are almost impossible to find parts for! I’ve always loved Cummins engines, and decided to buy a 2003 4BT from an old FedEx truck. It has the computer on the side of the block, but I’m wondering what all electrical inputs I need to make this beautiful engine roar back to life in a new body? I will be cleaning it up tomorrow to get numbers on here also!

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
OK. You most likely have a Cummins ISB 170 engine. If you have the ECM computer that is one part of the hurdle. If you're missing the wiring then hold on to your wallet because that is very very expensive. Below is a diagram of that harness. If you went down to the local Cummins dealer that part is about $1400. Here's a listing on ebay for one for $159.99. If that is the correct one for your engine that would be the bargain of the century, Would need to verify the part #. If you can give me the info off your ID plate with the engine serial # I can look it up. Cummins ISB/QSB Engine Wiring Harness 4939039 (514-11689) | eBay That is only for the main harness. You'd still have to work out throttle control which is also electronic.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the many different posts, I’m new to forums! The last pic has the main wire harness cut. I’m wondering where all those wires went?

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
That wiring harness is tied to a who bunch of sensors located all over the engine which feed info into the ECM. A bad sensor, bad wire, or bad ECM can cause the engine not to run. This thing is totally computer controlled. You see that plate in front of the ECM that has the letters ESN. That stands for Engine Serial Number. From that you can find out the correct wiring harness for the engine. Throttle control is a different animal. Cummins did not provide that normally. You have a good photo but I can't read the ESN. Guys who recycle these engines don't understand that the wiring harness is the difference between a running engine and an 800 lb boat anchor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any way to flash the ecm to get rid of most of those sensors? Or can I buy a VE pump and get rid of the electronics? Or do I have a boat an or. Lol Sorry for all the questions I’m new to this. If I can get ahold of the engine bay wire harness do I need all the sensors that tie into the computer also?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
A migraine headache. There is a steep learning curve on computer controlled diesels. AND often specialized test equipment is required.

Russ

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I
What all sensors are required to run it?
Absolutely no idea, I have no experience with the computer controlled engines, AND have not studied these engines.

It appears you bought an engine without hearing it running - AND missing some of the parts required to make it run. It will require some work on your part to document exactly what engine you have, find the supporting shop manuals and verify what sensors are present and what sensors are missing.

Cut wires are a bad sign.

After you go to the effort to correct all the wiring, you still do not know if the computer is good or if the engine is mechanically good.

Russ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I

Absolutely no idea, I have no experience with the computer controlled engines, AND have not studied these engines.

It appears you bought an engine without hearing it running - AND missing some of the parts required to make it run. It will require some work on your part to document exactly what engine you have, find the supporting shop manuals and verify what sensors are present and what sensors are missing.

View attachment 130534
Cut wires are a bad sign.

After you go to the effort to correct all the wiring, you still do not know if the computer is good or if the engine is mechanically good.

Russ
Russ
Very true, I purchased it from a reputable salvage yard for $2000. I have an email into them asking about the rest of the harness and the accelerator pedal. They have a contract with FedEx to scrap their old rigs, I’m hoping they may have another one that they haven’t destroyed yet. If they don’t they do have a 90 return policy. Thank god! 😂🤣 total bummer, this would have made a wonderful skid loader engine. I already had the bell housing adapter designed and ready to cut!

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Can't say for certain, but those 2 cut wires may have been the accelerator pedal and not a sensor. If so, the main engine wiring harness may be intact. You would need to verify that. Based on the ESN, you engine was built 6-26-2002 in Darlington England. It is CPL2938 and model ISBE CM800 and has 145 HP which is a bit unusual for most of those we see are 170 HP. The wiring harness for that engine is part # 3287689 shown in diagram below. For an actual wiring diagram you may have to go to Cummins for that. As far as eliminating sensors I'd say that's an impossibility. The computer program in the ECM has to have them to function. Should you need a replacement harness there are a bunch of those on ebay and very very cheap. Around $110-120. Here's something that may be of great value to you. It's a link to the Cummins service manual for that engine. May take a while to read because it's 917 pages long. LOL. CUMMINS ISB Service Manual (Page 9 of 917) | ManualsLib

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't say for certain, but those 2 cut wires may have been the accelerator pedal and not a sensor. If so, the main engine wiring harness may be intact. You would need to verify that. Based on the ESN, you engine was built 6-26-2002 in Darlington England. It is CPL2938 and model ISBE CM800 and has 145 HP which is a bit unusual for most of those we see are 170 HP. The wiring harness for that engine is part # 3287689 shown in diagram below. For an actual wiring diagram you may have to go to Cummins for that. As far as eliminating sensors I'd say that's an impossibility. The computer program in the ECM has to have them to function. Should you need a replacement harness there are a bunch of those on ebay and very very cheap. Around $110-120. Here's something that may be of great value to you. It's a link to the Cummins service manual for that engine. May take a while to read because it's 917 pages long. LOL. CUMMINS ISB Service Manual (Page 9 of 917) | ManualsLib
What would I look for on eBay, I’ve tried many ways and could not find the engine bay harness. I really appreciate this link for the manual, I will be paging through to learn about this engine. It intrigues me!

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Here's a link to one of the ones on ebay. New! Original Cummins Wiring Harness 3287689 | eBay From what I can determine these are brand new ones which is a bit of a shock. Also here is another link that shows a bunch of these. cummins 3287689 - Google Search It's interesting that Arkansas Valley Diesel Service has it listed for $1377.73 where Osmi Parts sells it for $109.95 including shipping. Slight bit of price variation there. LOL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a link to one of the ones on ebay. New! Original Cummins Wiring Harness 3287689 | eBay From what I can determine these are brand new ones which is a bit of a shock. Also here is another link that shows a bunch of these. cummins 3287689 - Google Search It's interesting that Arkansas Valley Diesel Service has it listed for $1377.73 where Osmi Parts sells it for $109.95 including shipping. Slight bit of price variation there. LOL.
That looks like the engine side wire harness, is that right? The one I’m questioning is the auto side that brings the info to the computer. The engine harness is in beautiful condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is the harness for the ECM like I show in post #13. What is the other harness you're talking about connected to?
The lower harness on the ECM ran to all the engine bay sensors (my best guess). Its an 89pin connector! The engine side harness to the ECM is in good shape.

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
That's strange because Cummins only shows 1 harness for the engine. I'll look on Quick Serve again but that was all I found. Could that second harness be one that fed the dash instruments? Like the accelerator pedal, that would have been provided by the end user. The only one Cummins provided is the Engine Control Module harness. Here are the notes on that part.
MR - Wiring Accessories
Structure Code: 03 EBM
Engine Design Phase: EEA/ECHO
Harness Supplier: Cummins
Bracket Supplier: Cummins
Customer: Various
Connection Type: 90 Degree
OEM Connector Location: Side Out
J1939 Connector Location: Front
ECM Location: Fuel Pump Side-Forward
Speed Sensor Location: Cam Gear
Voltage: 12 Or 24
Real Time Clock Battery: No
Attaches to Front Cover (X=288,Y=309): No
Attaches to Intake Manifold Cover: Yes
Engine Cylinders: 4
Engine Family: ISBE
ECM Type: Bosch EDC7
For engine without brake and without vgt turbocharger for Cummins truck engines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Char1355, yes i believe it is the FedEx Freightliner harness. I did some more research and found Chad McKinney LLC. He sells many of these engines, and has figured out the wiring for that connector. The CM800 ECM has many inputs but only needs the powers, grounds, and accelerator pedal. When I dissect this wire harness I will post the connections needed to make these beautiful engines run.
I'm happy its not a boat anchor🤣, this will make one hell of a LS185B. I am hoping to devise a TPS that will work with the skid loader hand throttle, otherwise i will have to rig up the throttle cable to control the accelerator pedal in the engine bay.

Thank you all for your responses on this engine swap! Once i learn more about these engines, I hope to help others on here as you have done!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts