Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a crazy ? i have a 92 cummins with the 727 auto in it. i would like to have a manual. one of the vans a bought i think has a sm465 in it. would this bolt behind my 6bt? are the bolt patterns the same from the 4bts to the 6bts?
if it did bolt up. would it hold up?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You would need the matching flywheel housing from the 4bt, but it would bolt up to your 6bt just fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting. how would that tranny hold up?

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
The weakest point is the input shaft and clutch disk when used behind a diesel. The SM-465 was a common transmission in GMC trucks that had a GVW of 21,000 pounds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would my 205 bolt behind?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, but you'd have to change the outputshaft in the transmission or run a divorced t-case. The 2wd and 4wd versions are different. I've got a 4wd SM465 collecting dust.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
The SM-465 2WD & 4WD have different output shafts. From memory I recall that the 4WD had a few different adapters that connected it to the NP205 depending on the year in which it was used.

·
Registered
500 Posts
BobS is correct. They had a 10 spline coarse outputshaft up until sometime in the 80's then they went to a 32 spline fine, then a 32 spline fine long shaft in the late 80's. The adapters changed as well, from the racetrack 8 bolt pattern to the more common 6 bolt round pattern.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Transfer Case Adapter for the SM-465

I installed a transfer case adapter in my SM-465. There are several sources for adapters. I used an adapter from Novak. The adapter that I used required replacing the trans mainshaft. So, I installed a rebuild kit while I was at it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Was it a 4x4 to start

and what did the adaptor cost?

·
Registered
58 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts