Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of someone putting either the 4bt or the 6bt in an old mopar? I really considering putting a cummins in my 69 satellite. I was really wanting to do a 6bt so i could have gobs of torque, but they are so heavy. I'd like to do a turbo diesel swap but it have to feel more power than a 383hp does since that what i had in it before it went in my dads car. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Anyone ever heard of someone putting either the 4bt or the 6bt in an old mopar? I really considering putting a cummins in my 69 satellite. I was really wanting to do a 6bt so i could have gobs of torque, but they are so heavy. I'd like to do a turbo diesel swap but it have to feel more power than a 383hp does since that what i had in it before it went in my dads car. Any recommendations?
I have a guy here in town that want me to install a 4bt in a 70 cuda so he can the Hod Rod power tour , he is making a list of what he wants done.

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah monte is the same size but they are frame cars where the b-body is a unibody. But I'm figuring with thru-floor subframe connectors and some frame bracing here and there a 6bt should be do able. The 4bt would fit better but if i'm going to go diesal it needs to make serious power.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
There is a bitchin' Buick grand National on the internet with a DuraMax in it. I would do that before I swapped a REALLY heavy Cummins.

Remember, just because you can make it fit, doesn't mean it is really a good idea....... especially if you wear out front end components faster and it doesn't handle well.

Notice in that 24V Monte Carlo video, it doesn't show him taking any corners fast - - LOL!

·
Registered
500 Posts
There is a bitchin' Buick grand National on the internet with a DuraMax in it. I would do that before I swapped a REALLY heavy Cummins.

Remember, just because you can make it fit, doesn't mean it is really a good idea....... especially if you wear out front end components faster and it doesn't handle well.

Notice in that 24V Monte Carlo video, it doesn't show him taking any corners fast - - LOL!
Most big block cars back in the day were made that way for running the drags, not the Trans-Am races, hence the 302 Z28 of the late 60's.

·
Registered
500 Posts
what diesels would you recomend then? Is the duramax that much lighter than the cummins?
Yes, 836lbs dry on the D-max. Aluminum heads help that a lot. Consider the 4BT is nearly 750lbs dry and the 6BT is over 1000. The V-8 configuration works better in a car for hood clearance & vertical engine bay clearances altogether.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know a guy thats got a 6bt out of his 2001 ram. this is what he said about it. "It is the entire motor, injection pump,turbo,short block, (damaged) head. I bought a complete motor from another truck and had the local Dodge dealer install it. This motor is a very rebuildable engine, it is just in my way and would like to get rid of the whole thing soon.The motor split an injector at 51,000 miles on the #3 cylinder and fried a piston. Chrysler warrantied it and replaced the short block and intercooler, relapped the valves while the engine was out during reassembly. Apparently it had head damage at that time and did not got caught. At 130,000 miles on my truck it started tapping and I returned it to the dealer. Of course it was out of warranty at that time and a new engine was $12,000. I found a replacement from a wreck for $6,000 with nearly the same miles and opted for it instead. The engine really only needs a hone run through 2 cylinders, 2 pistons, and a head."
I figure if it won't work in the Plymouth i got an older dodge ram that i could swap it to that. Is there any reason to stay away from the 01 for a swap? He was wanting $500 for it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Be sure that whatever vehicle you are thinking of swapping into....

...that you are really sure you want a 1200 lbs engine up front or not. Make surer the front end items (springs, bushings, ball joints, etc.) are new and up to the task.

You may not want the weight just because it will make handling worse, too. I for one HATE understeer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts