Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, has this got my "brain" vaporlocked :confused:. I can't imagine Cummins not providing one.

Where oh where is the coolant drain plug for the cylinder block?

I want to pull a spring coolant change and backflush.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
You guessed right! No block drain! Cummins don't need no stinkin block drain.
Just flush real good after you clean it out with sodium carbonate.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
What is sodium carbonate out of curiosity. Is there an over the counter name for it?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
You can get it a you local grocery story under the name "washing soda". I copied that from the Cummins book, they don't say what strength, but it's used in cleaning the cooling system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Drain, No Pain (Sorry)

Roses are wilted, violets are dead;
No block drain, it freaks out Ed. (sorrrreeeee) :nuke:

You guessed right!
Do I get a cookie?

No block drain! Cummins don't need no stinkin block drain.
Wowsers--no block drain...that's a switch. Cummins Engine Co. must be awfully confident that there's no core sand left in their engines. Every other engine manufacturer's engines that I've ever worked on (and to be fair, they were either car and/or car-derived engines, not a clean-sheet truck/industrial engine) blew varying amounts of core sand and "other" debris out the low point block drain when backflushed.

Just flush real good after you clean it out with sodium carbonate.
I hadn't heard that one before; how much Arm'nHammer do you use, for how long, etc.? What's the drill?

TGIF,
Eddie :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
As for how much sodium carbonate (washing soda), the book only show a pic of a what appears to be a gal of liquid sodium carbonate being adding to the cooling system for cleaning.
For cleaning (the book says) bring the engine to 176 deg F for 5 minutes, drain and flush, fill with water, bring the engine to to 176 deg F for 5 minutes (again) drain, flush and refill with 50/50 mix.

There you have it, the offical way to clean you Cummins cooling system.:rasta:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts