Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GUYS I've been missing for about 6 months . I lost my Son back in November . Cancer 49.
But my 4BT HAS not ran since last January . nOW It has ran for a few days at times .
.But after all the work getting back on it .
.. Now this time we pulled the fuel tank off & It has the SOCK still on the inlet tube .I'm remembering that we're supposed to run the conversions with out the sock.
. Which is correct. I hate to think that when we changed the tank we put it back in with the sock installed.
I believe I've caused myself a years worth of work. .
But I've only been able to get back to work on it a day here & Be off it for a month.
..........Please tell me with or without the sock.
THANKS.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If it's piston pump, no sock. Diaphragm pump I would run a sock because debris from the tank can cause the check valve in the diaphragm pump to stick open.

I have a TSB from Cummins that lists the filter rating of the sock they recommend. I'll post it when I find it.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
One main issue is those socks designed for gas will eventually clog with diesel fuel. Unless you're running terribly dirty fuel you don't need that sock, period. There were factory diesel pickups that had the socks but they are a different material than the gas ones. Seems like some GM's had socks. Fords did not. They only had a metal screen strainer. Dodge Cummins also had a mesh strainer but no sock.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WELL MY FUEL TANK is still at the RADIATOR SHOP waiting for the young man to get back to work.
His hand got infected messing with cuts & scrapes in his work . He's been in the hospital & I believe he's supposed to be back at work next week. I hate that had to happen to him . Some one laughed at me & said I see ''OLD SNAKE BITE''. HASN'T changed his stripes. My Bronco's name is Snakebite .. Every thing takes twice as long for my Bronco.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK GOOD News, The young man working on my Bronco . has it running .
We got the tank back from the Radiator shop . GOT It boiled out .
He reinstalled it & filled with fuel .
& He blew out all the lines . even took the Injector line off the pump & blew them out . IT CRANKED & RUNS FINE HE SAYS. I DROPPED HIM OFF PAYMENT TODAY. & Told him we're going on a mimi vacation for 4 days . I'll be back.
.. He's going to work on cleaning up some wiring .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts