Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I also am new to the 4BT conversion. I am in process of getting my 97 Jeep Wrangler imported (I live in Cancun, Mexico). I have the engine and trans. 98 Cummins 4BT Reman with a Muncie SM465. I plasti gauged the rod and Mains and they all were between .002" and .003" The bread van I drove it from Nashville, TN to Atlanta, Ga and it climbed Red top mountain at 65 mph bounce . I will update when the conversion starts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome!

nice to have you, and it makes it that much better that its going into a jeep!
LOL

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the conversion has started. I have pulled the original engine out of the Jeep and I am now preparing to install the Cummins. I have changed my plan a little bit. I will be placing the Original AX-15 transmission behind the cummins. If i blow it out in a day or a week or when ever it goes I will probably then put a NV4500 behind the cummins. I will post pictures as soon as i can.:rasta:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
here is a link of where my pictures are at.

http://web.mac.com/my96z28ss/

This weekend I go the engine partially sitting in place. The transmission is bolted in to it's skid plate. I have to do some adjusting to the engine so it will clear the firewall behind the turbo. I have the angled manifold and i only have about 2 to 3 inches behind the turbo. I also need to get the shifter lined up so i don't have problems with 1st gear. I plan on using the center mounting points on the engine due to the fact of the front control arms. They will have contact with the front mounts. If any body has any suggestions the would be put to good use.
:grinpimp:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did. Spent about a week cleaning it and prepping it. This week I ordered a different manifold for the engine. I only have about 2 inches behind the turbo for the exhaust and I don't want to modify my firewall. Yesterday I removed the body from the frame and i am in the process of cleaning and repainting the frame. Today I will take more pictures.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hopefully next week i will have some more updates. I did have a big problem with the starter. I had to lift the engine up more. I will have to put a 2" body lift on it to so the body will clear the bell housing and give me enough room for the change on my turbo and the air/water aftercooler that i have coming for it. This weekend I put Fat Mat on the whole Jeep. From the firewall on both sides then the floor board from the firewall to the back. I found my A/C leak when I took out the A/C heater box. My condenser is leaking. I hope that in the next month or two I will be able to take it for it's first test drive. As soon as I can I will put new pictures on the website.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still working on the Jeep. I have not been able to take pictures in the last few days. I have the A/C bracket made and mounted just waiting for my new thermostat housing. I am going to let the discharge go up not straight out for the space i have between the hose and belt. I started today taking the Jeep harness apart and will try to get the origional dash board to work. I made my remote oil filter block this last week. I will take pictures tomorrow hopefully to show everyone.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This weekend i started the Jeep and put about 1/4 mile on it. I think I have a missing ground somewhere. The jeep suts down when I hit a bump. I also have some clearance issues for the font driveshaft. I will probably be cutting some of the engine to trans adaptor and some of the bellhousing to keep it from coming in contact with the drive shaft. The Jeep is not fast but I think the power and fuel milage will offset the speed. What would be some good tips to make the engine come to life a little faster?? (RPM is slow to accelerate) I know it is an older diesel and not like the new electronic engines and won't accelerate lie those but there should be a way to get it to accelerate a bit faster. Other than that I hope that this week I will be able to start going farther and faster with it.

http://web.mac.com/my96z28ss

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have been driving my jeep for a week now and today i turned up the fuel screw about 1 turn clockwise. Wow what a difference now it is quicker off the line and pulls through 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear really nice. I also like the new touch of smoke. I will try to get some new pictures up and a short video. bounce

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What bell housing and adapter did you use to mate the AX15?
What application or brand exhaust manifold is that?
Why did you install the fat mat, heat or sound?
Thanks for all the pics, wonderful job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What bell housing and adapter did you use to mate the AX15?
What application or brand exhaust manifold is that?
Why did you install the fat mat, heat or sound?
Thanks for all the pics, wonderful job.

Bump what bell housing and adapter did you use?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts