Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a source for new P-30 liquid filled motor mounts? I tried contacting Lord directly and a few of their distributors with no luck. I am building my motor mounts next week and need to find something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
got a reply from a local Fluidlastic reseller... the stock 4BT mounts, new... $875 a piece! Ah ha ha ha!!!

i'm not sure on dimensions or weight capacity... but this might work for you?

ebay item #: 300083584730

·
Registered
477 Posts
How long do they last?

What kind of life expectancy does a fluid filled motor mount have.
I am currently taking apart a donor truck. It has the fluid filled mounts.
Can I expect these are worn out? Or can I expect they are good? How do I tell?
I want to use fluid filled mounts in my conversion. Gotta get rid of all the vibration I can.
The Volvo mounts that Gifu links to are solid right? That means more vibrations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The volvo mounts are fluid (hydraulic) - I'm trying them on my build, I do however have some concern as they were designed to hold up to a 4cyl and 6 cyl volvo motor - not sure how they will hold up long term with a heavier diesel.

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
ones for heavier Volvos I think should be fine.. Post up pics and report please.. I'll post up what I did with 4 cyl Toyota 22RE motor mounts that worked pretty well. These are known for tearing but because of how I mounted them they held up great and did a decent job of isolating. But that said, the factory liquid filled are much better.. I think the Volvo mounts should work well though..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have not used these but has anyone checked them out:

----
these look kinda like the fluid mounts and have some spec'd out for the 6.2 GM DIESEL might work

http://rep.racepages.com/parts/racepages/wizard.jsp?year=1987&make=CV&model=P30V--005&category=A&part=Engine Mount&dp=true&showdc=true#top

----
Or these for the Ford 300 six or four cylinder, they are fluid mounts. I think someone has used them for a build. Maybe a ford ranger, not sure.

http://www.motormountz.com/motor-mounts-products.php?make=FORD+TRUCK&model=F+SERIES+4WD&year=1993&getData=1&submit=Search

·
Registered
477 Posts
65scout4bt,
For the little I know it appears either of those would work. I would prefer to stay with the stock mounts, but if I can't find new ones now I won't be able to find them later when the ones I have fail. I just as well build new bracketry now while the build is in progress. I could probably locate several used ones, but who wants to put used mounts in? I understand it really makes a mess of things if one breaks under power. I wonder where the Frito mechanics buy theirs and what they pay? I may try to call the mechanic where I bought my truck.
I didn't know I was going to have this much fun!

·
Registered
65 Posts
In reference to the smaller viscous engine mounts used in rangers and Volvo’s, why not double them up if it is discovered that they may not be able to support the mass of the mighty 4BT? As a "lurker" on the Dodge TDR site I found these folks have done such on a Ford to Cummins conversion http://www.autoworldmt.com/
Please note that I am not familiar with the actual size or capacity of the Ranger or Volvo mounts, I'm just suggesting a possible alternative ( I too am looking for an engine mount solution)

·
Registered
65 Posts
CC59: Sorry I wasn't more specific with my link. Not pushing their parts, just suggesting the idea of doubling up two, possibly lighter duty, viscous engine mounts to meet or exceed the performance of the coveted and pricey P-30"hydraulic" mounts. The link was for reference. Maybe this will clear things up

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Interesting, TTF, very interesting! I just love ingenuity at work ha hha!

·
Registered
477 Posts
There is a local guy that scrapps the P-30s. I thought I might be able to buy all his used mounts. He exports the motors to Mexico. It turns out they want the mounts with the motors so no deal.

The $120 each sure beats that $875 each figure, but it's still kind of pricy. It probably won't get any cheaper. Should a group from here band together and buy a minimum order? For $275 (have to add tax and shipping you know) I think I will try to run the ones coming out of my donor truck for a while.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
My opinion is these fluid mounts aren't always the best mounts to use. The factory replacement 89-93 Dodge Cummins mounts are readily available at any local auto parts store for about $25 each. I have a running P30 with the fluid mounts and the vibration is no better in it than the P30's that I scrapped last year that had the Dodge type mounts. Also note the build up thread from Driverswanted that he has no excessive vibration issues using the Dodge mounts. I just don't see a 500% gain in vibration reduction or dollar value over the factory Dodge Cummins mounts. The other thing to consider is there is the unknown life expectancy of the fluid mounts. If one fails in a couple of years where then are you going to get a replacement? My opinion is do not build your project into a corner you can not get yourself out of later. :eek:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with BobS !

I am using 89-93 mounts on my 4BTA/Carryall. The NV-4500 end is also on isolators. Sure, there is some vibration, there is in my 03 Ram CTD also, but its very acceptable. I also have 89-93 mounts on my 4BTA/M37 now in build. I will use them on my 4BTA going in my Power Wagon and Swivel frame as I get to them.

Paul

·
Registered
645 Posts
got a reply from a local Fluidlastic reseller... the stock 4BT mounts, new... $875 a piece! Ah ha ha ha!!!

i'm not sure on dimensions or weight capacity... but this might work for you?

ebay item #: 300083584730
$875 a piece!!!, I'm assuming the 4bt comes attached to them for that price.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do the 89-93 mounts look like? I have a set off an earlier dodge that are huge round rubber mounts with large metal arms. I am not sure what year 5.9 Cummins they are off of.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts