Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have (2) Water/Air Aftercoolers for 4BTA engines. Both are different styles, but have the same cooler core protrusion out of the bottom of .250".

The cooler on the left is 6.250" high and the spacer is 1.250" high. The casting number is 3931999. The cooler on the right is 7.375" high, no spacer with a casting number of 3910281.

The cooler on the right is identical to the water/air cooler on my CPL 857 engine.

What is the purpose of the spacer since the bottoms of both coolers are identical ?
Can the cooler be used without the spacer ? Gaining 1.125" in vertical height would be helpful, but not mandatory in a Power Wagon.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have (2) Water/Air Aftercoolers for 4BTA engines. Both are different styles, but have the same cooler core protrusion out of the bottom of .250".

The cooler on the left is 6.250" high and the spacer is 1.250" high. The casting number is 3931999. The cooler on the right is 7.375" high, no spacer with a casting number of 3910281.

The cooler on the right is identical to the water/air cooler on my CPL 857 engine.

What is the purpose of the spacer since the bottoms of both coolers are identical ?
Can the cooler be used without the spacer ? Gaining 1.125" in vertical height would be helpful, but not mandatory in a Power Wagon.

Thanks
Paul

Paul,
Is that the one Austin traded you ? If so than it's for the P7100 pump that he has.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,
Is that the one Austin traded you ? If so than it's for the P7100 pump that he has.
Yes, this is from Austin. The actual core inside appears to be exactly the same size as the cooler on the right. And its a perfect fit on the manifold. Strange ? Wonder why the P7100 pump would have the spacer ? No mention of anything in the shop manuals.

Paul

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Paul ,
take a look at the pics I posted the P 7100 has different injection lines and if the spacer wasn't there that the 2 water lines would hit .Also he has a high front mount turbo .

I have more pics if that helps.

Scott

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes, this is from Austin. The actual core inside appears to be exactly the same size as the cooler on the right. And its a perfect fit on the manifold. Strange ? Wonder why the P7100 pump would have the spacer ? No mention of anything in the shop manuals.

Paul
Paul ,
Are you looking in the manual with pages left out ??? LOL ;) ;)

Scott

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul ,
take a look at the pics I posted the P 7100 has different injection lines and if the spacer wasn't there that the 2 water lines would hit .Also he has a high front mount turbo .

I have more pics if that helps.

Scott
Scott; OK, I see it now in the pictures. It was done for clearence. I am going to use it without the spacer, plug and play. Thanks for the pictures.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts