Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 7.3 idi project that I'm playing around with, I have an original Ats garret turbo for it but I need to rebuilt it, I recently picked up a good h1c with a non gated 12cm housing on it. That I am swapping the turbine housing onto the h1c I have on my 4bt powered truck. With the spare parts I have I can build an h1c with either a non gated 18.5 turbine housing or a gated 12cm housing from an junk hx35. With this in mind I would like some opinions on what combo would work on my 7.3 idi? I would like to spool early but keep under 15psi or so. Concerned the gated 12cm might choke it on the top end. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well since nobody else has bit on this I'll throw in my 2¢ . Although I haven't done it yet, I plan on a gated hx35 on my 6.9. I've seen countless write ups on other sites that show it being used. None of them have ever said that it created too much exhaust back pressure but I can see the concern. I also want to spool up early (1500 rpm if possible) and then limit it to about 15psi as well. I'm interested in what you come up with and how it works because none of the hx35 users I've read have ever commented on how much and how early they build boost.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I,m going to fab my own upipe and give the gated 12cm a try first. it will be mated to h1c compressor off a 5.9 not a baby h1c.
the hx35 had a 60 inducer I believe the h1c I have is a 54. Not sure what I will get out of it. But even if I don't like it I will mounts the ats 93 in the same Side mount location. Center back will not work good in my application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts