Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been building a 4bt ranger for about a year now and have had it driving for about a month. However, I am having an issue with the speedometer. I know that this year of ranger has the speed sensor in the rear diff but there is also one that runs off the housing of the factory transmission. I have put the zf5-42 transmission in it with a np205 transfer case and the I can't seem to find a way to bypass these wires to get the speed meter to work. I'm also not sure if I'm missing another factor also. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I do know that some Rangers had the speed signal off the diff, but my 2001 Sport Trac had the speed signal off the output of the trans. I don't know when the switch was, I'm guessing that yours is like mine. The sensor on the diff is just for ABS. I had to make a proper notched ring for the sensor to read and attached it to the driveline.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen some people put a sensor into the np205 speedo cable port but what I don't know is if it is a custom digital conversion

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have seen some people put a sensor into the np205 speedo cable port but what I don't know is if it is a custom digital conversion
If I remember correctly the sensor was reading 8 pulses on the output shaft, 4:10 rear gear. I had to re-gear for the diesel, so I had to change the pulse count to correct the speedo so I already had to do some sort of change anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remember correctly the sensor was reading 8 pulses on the output shaft, 4:10 rear gear. I had to re-gear for the diesel, so I had to change the pulse count to correct the speedo so I already had to do some sort of change anyway.
What did you end up doing to reset those pulses? Can that easily be done?

·
Registered
841 Posts
What did you end up doing to reset those pulses? Can that easily be done?
On my build not only did I swap a Kubota V2203 2.2 diesel but also swapped the auto trans for a Nissan 6 speed manual. The Nissan trans didn't have any speedo provision so I put a "tone ring" on the driveline. Because I also was re-gearing I just changed the notch count from 8 to 11. It's within 1.5%. I have a lathe so it was a simple fix for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my build not only did I swap a Kubota V2203 2.2 diesel but also swapped the auto trans for a Nissan 6 speed manual. The Nissan trans didn't have any speedo provision so I put a "tone ring" on the driveline. Because I also was re-gearing I just changed the notch count from 8 to 11. It's within 1.5%. I have a lathe so it was a simple fix for me.
Awesome thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts