Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my tranny out of my 87 chevy cummins because the input bearing retainer was leaking. It pulled easy real easy but i cant get it to go back in! Is it easier to put the bellhousing on the engine then install it or with bellhousing on tranny? So far with the bellhousing on tranny has failed only because i cant get my transmission jack high enough to line it up

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Is the truck sitting on it's tires, a lift, jackstands? If it's on the tires, let the air out to get it lower for your jack.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
THE number 1 problem when installing a big manual transmission is getting the splines on the input shaft to travel through the clutch splines. If your engine is tilted and your transmission is level the splines try to plow into each other as they pass through each other. This causes all forward travel to stop until you readjust the transmission angle. Then after it goes forward & if it's not closely matched you have to start changing the angle of the transmission again, etc. All this goes on while you are trying not to knock the clutch release bearing from the fork and not hang the transmission on the clutch pressure plate fingers or on the disk splines.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I let all the air out of the front tires and put 3 2x4 under the tranny with the truck on the trailer. its alot easier to get the jack rolling and everything. Im having trouble getting the throwout bearing to slide onto the retainer right now

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it in, lol i have about 3 inches all around from the top of the bellhousong but i put bellhousing on and put the slave cylinder on and lined the throwou bearing and rod perfectly in line and slid tranny up there till splines didnt turn on tranny then put two bolts in and went in smooth with very little pressure

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it in, lol i have about 3 inches all around from the top of the bellhousong but i put bellhousing on and put the slave cylinder on and lined the throwou bearing and rod perfectly in line and slid tranny up there till splines didnt turn on tranny then put two bolts in and went in smooth with very little pressure

·
Registered
345 Posts
I own a transmission shop and do this daily. Here is a little secret.

Get two bolts, in this case 3/8 that are about 4 or 5 inches long.

cut off the heads and clean them up.

Start the bolts into the blocks two lower holes. (a few turns will do)

when you bring the trans up to the engine start by guiding the bolts through their bellhousing holes.

Alignment is virtually impossible to mess up. trans in gear. turn the output to line up the splines.

slide it home. YOUR DONE. Easy as pie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts