Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I personally like the 3053a. I bought one for my '96 Ram to replace the sick auto, and went with the Spicer over the NV4500 because of price and strength. I have heard that the Spicer isn't great shifting, but I got a chance to drive a Deuce 500 miles and other than the odd shift pattern (which doesn't take long to get used to), it shifted quite well. I wouldn't hesitate to run one in anything they fit in.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spicer 3053a to a Chevy Bellhousing

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0509_spicer_3053a_transmission/index.html
The 3053A Spicer 5 speed comes with a SAE bell housing and therefore would'nt the 4bt just bolt up? No junky adapters necessary? If so would be a great alternative to the expensive NV4500. I plan on putting this in my newly purchased M715, what you guys think?
Here is a link about how to hook up the spicer 3053a to a GM/Chevy truck bellhousing. Since some of the 4BTs came with a GM/Chevy 4 speed this might help you. Also Cummins does list a SAE 3 Flywheel housing in their parts catalog.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0509_spicer_3053a_transmission/index.html

Lewis

J10
4BT
GM/Munce 465
NV 208
3.31 Diffs

·
Registered
854 Posts
therefore would'nt the 4bt just bolt up? No junky adapters necessary?
only if .... and ONLY if your 4BT already has the SAE #3 flywheel housing.
If the engine doesn't come with it, you have to buy one.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
I thought the Spicer 3053a from a military application comes with a #2 to #3 SAE adapter ring? The clutch housing on the transmission is a #3, but the flywheel housing on the multifuel engine is a #2, so they use a simple ring adapter.

Therefore, if your engine has either a #3 or a #2 flywheel housing the 3053a will bolt on (without and with the adapter, respectively).

please correct me if I am wrong.

Grigg

·
Registered
23 Posts
"i dont care for the fact it has been completely discontinued and you have to 100% rely on aftermarket parts.

id rather run a weaker tranny that at least i can get another one easily....
11-19-2007 04:13 PM"

thats kind of funny, the 3053 series is rated to 23k pounds, quite a bit more than just about any truck here weighs, also remember that the first deuces were introduced in the 40's, and quite a few are still running around still in service (i pass one everytime i go on base that still carries troops and supplies around base) and if you for some unknown reason break one, buy 4 more for the price of one nv4500. nuf said when i get back to the states this bub is running a 3053a.

·
Registered
16 Posts
3053a or 3052

My 4bt came with a sae#3 flywheel housing.
The 3052 bolts right up,so would the 3053a.
I used a 13" clutch,no problem.
I mated a dana 300 t-case to it,with only two custom parts.
The adapter plate (3/4" thick).
The bull gear bored out and resplined .
The 4bt-3052-d300 came out 3/4" shorter than the amc 304-t19-d20 that i
took out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My 4bt came with a sae#3 flywheel housing.
The 3052 bolts right up,so would the 3053a.
I used a 13" clutch,no problem.
I mated a dana 300 t-case to it,with only two custom parts.
The adapter plate (3/4" thick).
The bull gear bored out and resplined .
The 4bt-3052-d300 came out 3/4" shorter than the amc 304-t19-d20 that i
took out.
I would be very interested in pics of the adapter, I have a sae3 adapter on my 4BT and a sae3 3053 spicer but not sure whether to use it or not. I am in England and can find virtually nothing about it so don't know what flywheel and clutch to buy over here but seeing a tcase adapter might give me the needed push to dig a little deeper .

Gaza

·
Registered
16 Posts
flywheel

The flywheel that i used is cummins#3908569.
I will take a picture of the t-case adaptor and try to get it posted.
I don't have pictures before the installation though.
I do have the drawing that I made with all the measurements,and the machinist phone number that made it for me.
I bought the clutch from south bend clutch in indiana.
My flywheel housing is cummins#3903282 .

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
So on a slightly different tack: does all this mean that you could use a 3053 on a B3.3 since they already have SAE housings, and not have to use a Phoenix adapter??

·
Registered
696 Posts
The flywheel that i used is cummins#3908569.
I will take a picture of the t-case adaptor and try to get it posted.
I don't have pictures before the installation though.
I do have the drawing that I made with all the measurements,and the machinist phone number that made it for me.
I bought the clutch from south bend clutch in indiana.
My flywheel housing is cummins#3903282 .
Tanks for the info, did yours look like this from the front? Which particular clutch from south bend did you use? did you have to redrill the flywheel?

Gaza

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
So on a slightly different tack: does all this mean that you could use a 3053 on a B3.3 since they already have SAE housings, and not have to use a Phoenix adapter??
But....do they have the right size SAE housing?
And what about finding a clutch disk for that small of a flywheel that fits over a 1-1/2 x 10 input shaft? I really doubt it. Also, there is some pretty good drag from a trans that big.....whatever mileage gains you get from swapping to a B3.3 may be lost due to efficiency losses through the transmission.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts