Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i've got my durango running and driving now, but there is a distinctive squeak from the front of the engine. I'm not sure what it is and i'm not sure if it's something bad or not... It's annoying, but if it's nothing harmful i don't care too much.

Anyways. I thought it was the tensioner pully, because when i sprayed it with wd 40/silicon lube it would go away for 15-20 seconds then come back. Well, that's not it. I took the tensioner off, and lubed it well and put it back on and the squeek was still there. I then realized that if i spray the belt where it goes around the big pully where a mech fan would attach (idler? pully) it goes away then too. I also can see the tensioner going up and down quite a bit, 1/2" or so? i wasn't sure if this is normal, i have nothing to compare it to, or if maybe my water pump is going and the belt is having trouble spinning it...

any thoughts? its frustrating and the last thing i want to do is destroy something...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
stethoscope and listen. Some of the auto parts stores sell cheap auto specific stethoscopes. Or use a big long straw up to your ear...

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's pretty normal for a belt tensioner to move a bit, but you could have a pulley out of alignment somewhere.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, looks like my crank pully wobbles. It didn't feel loose when i put it together so i guess i will replace that. Guess i should have looked closer, hopefully the belt lasts until i can get a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts