Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried (successful or otherwise) to put staged twin turbo on a 4BT?

I know it's been done by many on the 6BT's.

·
Super Moderator
8,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm curious as I'd like to do it on my 4BD1. Turbo sizing is the biggest question mark I've got.

Of course if I get it done, they wont be chrome:grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I just talked to a guy fromCummins and we were talking about twin turbos ,he said to use a HX50 on bottom and a HY35 on top .:smokin:

Scott

·
Super Moderator
8,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Holset turbos are pretty rare where I live. Does anyone have any maps or know of garrett equivalents?

·
Banned
427 Posts
i dont think the block-head will hold up. i do know in the 855 bc2 475hp twin turbo engines. they ran great for about 150,000-200,000 miles then they were junk. the top of the block busted where the head bolts screw into bad . also heads cracked from valve seats to the injector holes real bad.i sold all my twin setups and went with the big hi-altitude 3801919 blowers and still killed em.

·
Super Moderator
8,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i dont think the block-head will hold up. i do know in the 855 bc2 475hp twin turbo engines. they ran great for about 150,000-200,000 miles then they were junk. the top of the block busted where the head bolts screw into bad . also heads cracked from valve seats to the injector holes real bad.i sold all my twin setups and went with the big hi-altitude 3801919 blowers and still killed em.
What boost were they running?

I've got a pic of a cummins in a tractor pull which unzipped right around the crankcase. They had boost approaching 3 figures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts