Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my starter for my motor the other day. i tried it last night, and it is nowhere near fitting. i looked in bobs's starter thread, and it is a denso 1280000211, which should be right. my question is, is there a spacer or something btween the starter and the adaptor ? also, i only got half of the belt tensioner, and i wanted to know if anyone has pictures of the piece the goes onto the head. any help will be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Yes there is usually a spacer which is pictured in this thread:
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841

The bracket that mounts the tensioner should be Cummins part number 3905926.
It is a flat piece of steel 3/8 inch thick. The following pictures may be of some help:

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BobS, i could just about kiss you. and fast too. thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and thanks also crewcab. your tensioner bracket looks different. is one chev, and one ford ?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The one I have is from a chevy , there are many different brackets and part numbers as well . Cpl and engine sir so you can have the same part with three different # . I have a CPL 858.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
One other thing is right or left tensioner , the pin location of the tensioner is different on the right or left.

CrewCab59

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
That bracket is also from a Chevy with the CPL 858 but notice it is an earlier part number. Cummins frequently revises and redesigns their parts and numbers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the plate on the timing cover is damaged, but there is a number there that says 0858. is this the cpl number ? what does this mean ? age/version/adaptor type or something else ?

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
CPL is short for "Control Part List" or the version that is being built. 0858 is probably your version as it is quite common in the vans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts