Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw no direct answer here, or in the yahoo groups, just this:

Cummins 4BT CPL858 Starter Cross References.doc

4BT Starter interchange numbers for Chevy P30 w/SM465 4 speed transmission, TH400/475 automatic, and Ford Borg Warner T-19 four speed transmission

Would these starter(s) work with the ZF-5 adapter as well, or is it going to be a completely different starter all together?

Pantherman

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The transmission doesn't matter. The starter is in the adapter.

Ok, my mechanic friend wants to know what starter goes with the ZF-5 tranny adapter plate then, he wants to know if it's a OEM Ford starter that's easy to get a hold of, or if it's a Cummins OEM part.

Pantherman

·
Registered
454 Posts
have a look in the faq's. there are some threads by bobs that go into starter part no. and application. like average said, you just need the one for the ford adaptor.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize then, I looked through there the 1st time and didn't find anything that related to the manual Ford tranny's.

Pantherman

·
Administrator
4,174 Posts
The Ford adapter set that came with the Borg-Warner T19 is used with the 5 speed ZF series transmissions. Both the GM & Ford adapters sets, automatic or standard shift, use the same starters listed in the starter cross reference. This does not apply to any other adapter sets such as Dodge Cummins or any after market manufactured adapters.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you have the small block adapter, Bobs info is correct. However if you did a b**terdized 460 pattern tranny and adapter like i did it will take some machine work that I can help you with. Let me know, Carl

PS Bob, I havnt completly forgotten you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have the small block adapter, Bobs info is correct. However if you did a b**terdized 460 pattern tranny and adapter like i did it will take some machine work that I can help you with. Let me know, Carl

PS Bob, I havnt completly forgotten you.
THanks, I'm pretty sure that the ZF-5 is a smallblock adapter.

Pantherman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts