Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hmmm, I was seeing if I had any valve adjustment issues and everything looked good. I started the motor up and had a noticeable puff of blue smoke- my cold startups had been a little hazy but not blue. I trailered a truck home about 40 miles and had to pull some steep hills in 4th. I didn't baby it. I didn't see any drips from the breather after it sat. Exhaust sounded the same at idle.
When I first put this in the truck, I had what I assumed was an exhaust valve on #6 cylinder that was not closing while cranking for oil pressure before starting- air leaking out on compression stroke hiss but it stopped. I figured it was due to a little rust or something keeping it from seating. I had a full valve job and seats replaced. I also think I had a cam regrind but I didn't see that on the bill. I am going to do a compression check before I drive it any more.
I don't have an obd2 port figured out so I can't see if I have any codes. It sure tows better than my 93 12 valve!
If I have to I can get the truck I brought home running. 200k, crank, no start- Original injectors and CP3..

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Compression was 500, 500, 500, 500, 480, 480-90. I tried #5 a second time and it yielded 450- i will attribute that to battery or the cheap tester. The needle would bounce to 500 from 490 but not stay there. I talked to my machinist and he said I'm making too big a deal about it. It just seemed like the smoke got worse..

·
Registered
59 Posts
have you pulled air intake and downpipe to see if the oil being burnt is from bad turbo seals? would see a build up if so

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yes, charge air side was dry and clean, exhaust had soot and no oil or signs there of. That leaves valve guides/seals, head gasket, or it's just some oil getting past the rings. I triple checked that I was putting the rings in correctly. There was no loose injectors-they can introduce oil or fuel. I am going to see if I can see anything up with valve seals without disassembly.
Here is a chart I made of my intercooler/intake pressure test.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I also realized I can't pull the lifter/push rod/tubes. Dodge has some holes in the cowl for this..

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
With those compression numbers it doesn't sound like you have bad rings. The turbo is clean and dry so that eliminates that avenue too. About all that is left is head gasket of valve seals. If you need them the valve stem seals should be parts 3942989 intake valve and 3945438 exhaust valve, 12 or each required. You can double check with your ESN to be sure. When you had asked about the stem seal before I was thinking 12 valve and not the common rail.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I had a total head job, seats, guides and of course seals. I didn't find any sloppy valves so it's probably good. I took it for a drive and it seemed fine and actually seemed quieter. There was a bit of smoke on startup but it just may be unburnt fuel.
I don't know how many times I think I have the valves adjusted just right and double check and it's off a little.. I verified TDC too while I had the injectors out. I am going to run it and just watch the oil closely.
I think I managed to get a boost leak that let out a nice squeal/whistle that gave me a good scare..
So, I changed the first round of oil at 50 miles just to get rid of any assembly junk, debris, etc. And now I am at 500 miles, how long should I go on this oil?

61 - 67 of 67 Posts