Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea to start over on my 1969 ford f-100 custom cab to get it running since the engine was violate years ago.
I'm thinking of a 5.9 cummins with a nv4500 5 speed.
I know its going to take some shoehorning, fabricating, drinking, and possibly bargining with god.
Anyone have a good idea as the best/easiest route as far as witch motor and trans will work.
the rear end is an old 68' heavy duty rear end from another truck before I got it

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Hello Yosemite. Not trying to be smart, it may not be the best/easiest route you can take, but more like what you can afford or source. From what I am seeing, 4bt and 6bt engines are getting scarcer and pricier.
An F-100 is probably going to need some front suspension mods to handle a heavier 6bt.
I am surprised @Russ McLean hasn't commented here. He did a suburb conversion on an '86 F-150. Check out his thread.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
A 6bt is a heavy engine for a F100 chassis. As Moxiecat stated, you'll definitely need some front suspension upgrade and possibly some frame strengthening. You used the word shoehorning and that's pretty accurate. Those earlier Ford engine bays aren't quite as roomy as later models. With a 6bt you'll need a HD radiator and probably an intercooler. Might think on using F250 or F350 suspension parts. Of course that will change you wheels to 8 lug. Might check out this build by F100Today on a 1967. This is not your average build by no means. He did a twin turbo 4bt. https://www.4btswaps.com/threads/1967-f100-4bt-build.25371/

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I am surprised @Russ McLean hasn't commented here. He did a suburb conversion on an '86 F-150. Check out his thread.
moxiecat - thanks for the complement!

I read the post, but, have no real knowledge of the 6bt swap. The above comments on the 6bt engine size and weight are very consistent with previous comments seen on this site.

Russ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Yosemite. Not trying to be smart, it may not be the best/easiest route you can take, but more like what you can afford or source. From what I am seeing, 4bt and 6bt engines are getting scarcer and pricier.
An F-100 is probably going to need some front suspension mods to handle a heavier 6bt.
Appreciate the feedback. I kept looking around for while before posting and yes the prices and scarcity are an issue, but I thought I wasn't looking in the right places.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts