Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Steed Speed Exhaust manifold

17K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  EVguy 
#1 ·
In the quest for more power and limited aftermarket stuff available I asked Leen at Steed Speed to build one of his performance exhaust manifolds for the ISB170.
It arrived on Friday and is setup for the T3 flange to bolt a HY35 turbo onto.
Still a few weeks away from having it running but looks cool. :D

#4 ·
Here is the old next to the new.
Still cant figure out how to load a picture without it being a thumbnail. :(

Attachments

#5 ·
Awesome! Please keep us up to date on your "performance" adjusments as you have one of the few ISB170s out there in true running form and I'll be hoping to follow right along and eventually be a contributor. I just have to get all the body work finished up on the back of my truck before moving it around to start slinging the engine into place.

#6 ·
I will keep you up to date.
I really like this setup. Its so quiet compared to the 4BT and the stock power is amazing.

#9 ·
The HY35 was a dog. Looked cool but a dog.
Virtually no boost till just about 2000 and then it would come on strong but way too late.
Built a hybrid with the stock HY30 CHRA and compressor with the HY35 exhaust housing and turbine.
Still good spool up at lower RPM and more noticeable power over 2000RPM. I think with a bit more fuel it should really go.
I suppose injectors are next.
Has anyone tried injectors?

#13 ·
I've read and been told that the ISB injectors are already larger than the ones that the 5.9 uses because they have to deliver more fuel to less cylinders.
I'm glad that you read the HY35 was a dog on this engine. I am going to have to build a custom manifold for my engine to get the turbo and exhaust and all the other mess to fit where it needs to go, so I almost built a manifold for the HY35 but I guess I will stick with the HY30 instead.

As for more power though, I think the next step is fooling with the tune for the CP3. It should supply the fuel we need... it just needs to be tricked. My engine is getting slung in and will hopefully be running my mid summer. Fingers crossed.

#12 ·
Leen also built the cool 60 degree adapter to move the turbo down close to the stock location.
Very nice workmanship.

#14 ·
I'm trying to find a replacment ECM as mine does not read the Cam sensor and I have a good signal all the way to the ECM plug.
Once I have that solved I will have the ECM reprogramed for a bit more RPM.
Also going for bigger injectors.
Did a tow to Portland this week and it was OK but a bit more power would be nice.

#15 ·
What size and weight is the trailer you are pulling? Whats the weight on your truck empty? Gear ratios? Tire size? Just trying to get a grasp on the reality of my plans. I'm shooting for 4.56s, 38"s, and a 3200# airstream behind a 5800# truck.

#16 ·
Wow. I suppose it depends on your performance expectations.
My delivery trailer is only about 1000lbs (all aluminum car trailer) and the trucks we build and deliver are about 2400lbs for a total trailer load of about 3400lbs.
Truck has stock gearing which I think was about a 3.75.
The NV4500 has a pretty low 1st gear and I don't use it with an empty trailer but a must with a truck on the trailer.
Tires are about 33".
I mostly run in 4th to keep the RPM and power up but hope to be able to use fifth once I do injectors and ECM program.
Just had a quote on a new ECM out of China for $900 at my door and I sent them a picture of the info on the Brazil ECM to see if I can get it programed with the 200+ HP Brazil tune.

#17 ·
what is the brazil cpl #? and can you post that pic of that brazil pcm

#18 ·
#19 ·
ok new to isb3.9 swap sorry to enter to treads but really need help on getting mine set up did not find a way to do my own post or treads yet ok I just purchased a complete isb3.9 145hp 420lb with Allison 1000 engine is a 2004 was told engine had arround 80000 mll came with all wire harness my project is on my 2007 dodge ram 5.7 hemi isb145 came half complete missing gas pedal and transmission wire harness was cut seller told me that ecu on engine control the transmission but saw all other have a tcm . specially cut harness only had white wires look like to me was tcm connectors really need help please feel free to inbox me or reply need help finding a rear oil pickup tub so I can swap my oil pan to rear sump

#22 ·
Yo EVguy, what dia exhaust are you running on your setup? I read somewhere that previously with the HY30W you were just running some weird bolt on clamp for the V-band setup. Ever figure out something different or did changing around hot side housings change your connections? I'm sticking with the HY30W for now and am just having the outlet face milled to used an off the shelf 2.5" V-band connection.

#23 ·
I played with a few setups and am now back to the stock HY30 as well. Much faster spool up than anything else I tried. I made an adjustable WG rod and adjusted up to 24psi boost.
When I put the HY30 back on I first milled the flange to take a stock clamp as you have done.
Its 3" from the flange back through a Magnaflow stainless system.

Reactions: AlxJ64
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.