Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m using a GM 80s chassis for my project. I used a P30 for my donor vehicle. The steering boxes are the same size for both of these trucks. They have the same casting #. They do not have the same gearing. The P30 turns 4 ¼ turns lock to lock out of the truck. In the chassis the 80s pickup truck box turns 3 ¼ turns. This may be limited by steering stops. I have read here that the valving in the Saginaw boxes is wrong for hydroboost systems. I was wondering if the valving in the P30 box would be better. I am cheap and don’t really want to send my steering box in for a rebuild and valve change, unless it is a necessity. The P30 box may make the pickup slow steering. I don’t need go-kart steering but I don’t want a pig either.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would just hook up the HB and leave the steering sector already in the 80's chassis. I doubt it matters much. You could always swap later if you find you need to. Until then, don't fix it unless its broken.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
can't believe everything you read. the saginaw box is the same as the p30, which is also a saginaw. they both run the same hydraulic pressure wether its hydroboost or not. they just happen to be different ratios for the steering. saginaw made several different ratios, depending on size of vehicle, etc. they also had one that was variable ratio. just run it, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ditto on what K204DR said. The only thing I do is change the internal torsion valve to a #210 valve. This gives better steering feel on Power Wagons/WC's and M37's. The Saginaw Power Steering Box has a torsion control valve. The selection of the valve used will determine the amount of power assist which relates to Road Feel. I have found that a .210 valve give me the steering feel on my PW/M37/WC very much equal to my 2003 RAM CTD. This valve was suggested by AGR Performance Power Steering

Keep in mind, your opinion of Road Feel and Mine may be totally different. I suggest you talk to company rebuilding your box and get their opinion of the proper valve based on your description of Road Feel. Dont go by my selection of a 210 valve, talk to your rebuilder for their input.

The following information was supplied by ARG Performance Power Steering
The available valves and Suggested Road Feel are;
185 = .185 XX Light (steering quickener)
200 = .200 X Light (steering quickener)
210 = .210 Light
220 = .220 Light
235 = .235 Med/Light
250 = .250 Medium
265 = .265 Medium
275 = .275 Med/Heavy
300 = .300 Heavy

Paul

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul (in NY),
Do you have any idea what the "stock" valve is in any of the boxes?

Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Paul (in NY),
Do you have any idea what the "stock" valve is in any of the boxes?

Thanks everyone for your help!
Beck, I dont know what the stock valve is in the Saginaw Box. I am thinking it may depend on the application and what the design engineers decide would be best all around.....just a guess

Paul

·
Registered
854 Posts
You could try it as is, then change later if you think it needs it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts