Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info (transmission, rearend, frame, etc...) on the dodge based flight tug w/cummins motors? Has anyone ever converted one of these to a street driven truck?

Thanx

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
From what little info that I have found.

5.9 Cummins ,non intercooled,ve pump,
727 auto trans.
D70 , 7:17 gears rear diff mounted solid to the frame.
rest just stock 1 st gen dodge truck.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Don't bother. The gearing is ultra-low and they are HEAVY!!
it was mentioned on here that a lot of the 9200lb vehicle weight is counterweights that can be removed. Not sure how true, or how much weight it would be.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
A real nice D250 Dodge Cummins truck sat on a local dealers lot for around two months priced at $2900 and probably sold for around $2700 or less. The tugs normally sell in the $2000 price range + the auction fees + the cost of hauling to get it home. So the question comes down to how economically can you either buy a rear frame section, do a frame splice, find a replacement drive shaft and a 3.08 differential, and add a factory replacement bed or go the other route pull the engine, pull the body, find a frame with a 3.08 rear axle and transplant everything onto it. Usually the tugs that have a title are listed as an "incomplete" vehicle by the VIN number. Of coarse prices can vary in different parts of the country so you just have to add up the numbers and figure out if it is worth doing all of the work involved.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Im not sure if this is the one that your are talking about, but iv seen some with planetary axles that steer front and rear/no suspention. Any pics?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I was talking about the dodge. I guess I could put a bid in for the local one and see if I could get it for the right price, you never know.

Thanx

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah I wasn't sure if that was a jeep or a dodge. Jeep changed hands since it's first 80 year old incarnation it's hard to tell what a "jeep' really is :). We've got one of those like that around one of our units that the inmates drive around in. I thought some of these also had a 6AT motor - am I correct?

·
Registered
25 Posts
there was a CUCV version of a tug, which had ZF axles (i think ZF) solid mounted, they were supposedly ridiculously stout axles that had around a 18:1 gear ratio in it...maybe someone who knows more could verify

·
Registered
854 Posts
Guy said these had planetaries on the axles somehow, about 18:1 final ratio at the axle.
Yes, look at the hub center. See the three little circles? Those are the three stubs shafts for the three planetary gears

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Now, come up with a way to shift those hub planetary drives from reduction to 1:1 from the cab.. Talk about a crawl ratio for 4-wheelin'! And would be strong, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just using rockwells to begin with would probably be a better choice. 18:1 is pretty steep, even with a 50% overdrive. - That's still 9:1 (and weaker). Rockwells are like 6:72:1.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Guy said these had planetaries on the axles somehow, about 18:1 final ratio at the axle.
I know a guy in Mississippi that has one of those tugs, but it's shod with monster truck tires & flamed paint. Too bad it took a serious bath in Katrina. It's weird... the frame is hard mounted to the axles. Zero suspension.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts