Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some questions about reversing the fuel flow to pull through the stock fuel filter instead of pushing.. Right now in stock form it goes LP>Filter>IP. For my 2 tank wvo conversion I want to go Filter>LP>IP which will create some vacuum on the stock fuel filter...Does it matter if it's vacuum or pressure?

·
Registered
854 Posts
There won't be any problems doing what you want to do as long as flow direction through the filter doesn't change.

I think it would be better to do like me, and add a big filter before the lift pump.

For my two tank system, I plan to have two large spin on filters (Fleetguard FS1000) for each system, with the changeover valve after the filters and before the LP. I was thinking of just letting the factory spin-on filter alone where it was, and am hoping there wouldn't be any problems with two different fuels going through it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree with Linctex, it would be better to run two filters rather than one. It just seems like a better idea since you are planning on running WVO. While I'm not going to run WVO I am going with that configuration: filter>LP>stock filter>IP. I picked up a filter base from fleetfilter.com and a couple of 16 micron filters for less than $40.

Base was wix # 24770
filters were wix # 33244

If you look at the secondary fuel filter section you have a few to choose from that go with that base.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That Wix 24770 base is the same as Napa 4770 (no surprise there!)

The numbers that fit it are:
Wix 33405, 33406, 33407, (all are 10 micron but different length) 33528 (2 micron) and others. There are quite a few others, too - - the thread is 1" x 14 TPI. The Fleetguard FS1000 and FS1065 also spin right on. (what I am using.)

To use a Napa filter, just take the first "3" off of the Wix number, and you have it (3305,3307, 3528)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel filters

I am planning on running 2 seperate filters one coolant heated for wvo and the stock mounted filter..I'm gonna plumb them both through a 3way valve pre stock lift pump to choose feed tank...I will have another valve on the return side which can be looped for the wvo return or return to main diesel tank.. That way I can purge the system on diesel with the return looped for a minute or so to clear the lines and IP of wvo.

My quetion still remains that if I plumb the factory filter pre lift pump will that give me any air leak problems? I will be keeping the factory flow direction through the filter just changing the order of the lift pump.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My question still remains that if I plumb the factory filter pre lift pump will that give me any air leak problems?
no problems

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks LincTex! Anybody here have any real world experiance running a 2 tank system with only two switching valves?

·
Registered
854 Posts
experiance running a 2 tank system with only two switching valves?
You mean two valves, three ports each? That is what I plan instead of one six port valve. That way I can purge the retun line for 15 seconds after switching the feed line.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, 2 3 port switching valves..I'm having trouble deciding if I should use greasevar valves or vegpower (Hydraforce)..I've been running the greasecar valves in my MB190d for 2 years trouble free, but the vegpower have a larger flow rate and $$.... Also gonna use some nice coolant heated aluminum HIH fuel line from fattywagons.com .I'll do a write up on the custom diy wvo conversion soon..I should have all my parts in the next few weeks..

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yeah, 2 3 port switching valves..I'm having trouble deciding if I should use greasevar valves or vegpower
I am going to use brass "weatherhead" brand fuel switching valves from Napa. My friend works there and got them for me for cost.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sunwizard on the infopop site posted an awesome write up on using manual valves for a wvo conversion www.xyzworks.com/wvo.htm He lives nearby and I have seen it first hand..He seems to think that plumbing the stock filter before the lift pump will have air leaks..I'm thinking that his truck a 6bt has more fuel pressure than the 4bt which would create more vacuum and introduce air..Also alot of the wvo water seperating filters have to be on the suction side to remove any water..Any thoughts?

·
Registered
854 Posts
He seems to think that plumbing the stock filter before the lift pump will have air leaks

Baloney. All industrial/farm/truck diesels use a large primary filter of some sort between the tank and pump inlet. No vacuum leaks if installed properly.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
Every GM 6.2L diesel pickup truck engine that I have ever seen has had the primary filter located on the suction side of the fuel lift pump and the secondary filter was located after the lift pump on the pressure side just before the injection pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts