Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm researching to do a 4bt swap into my 97 wrangler and I am looking for the cheapest auto trans option. I currently have a stock 4.0L I6 TJ with the 32rh trans that has a recent rebuild on it. Is it possible to keep my stock transmission behind a 130 hp-145 hp rated 4bt? It would mostly be around town driving and the occasional offroading- nothing super extreme and I try to avoid highways anyway so not worried about it struggling to hit 65-70 since it already struggles to hit those speeds.

I saw a guy on youtube running the stock tf904 behind his 4bt in a cj5 but I havent been able to contact him for information on how he mated the trans and motor or how the trans has held up. Any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated, but please keep the swap in a stick comments, I have no desire to drive a stick offroad.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Just be a guess, but I'd say that transmission wouldn't live long behind a 4bt. It's listed as light duty and the engines low end torque will probably kill it in short order. The auto transmissions we see most commonly used with the 4bt are the Dodge Cummins A518 (46RH) or the 47RH. Those are nearly identical. They don't need a computer and both have OD. The 47RH has a lock up torque converter. What kind of fit issues you would run into I couldn't answer. Lot of Jeep guys on here and maybe some of them might have some ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts