Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't see why not. I know someone who did a 1 tank system on his 12V and has about 20K miles logged.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Anyone here run straight vegetable oil in their 4BT? How does it like it?
There is a thread about this do a search. I would imagine a 4BT would run on a 1 tank SVO system but for how long?. I personally have too much respect and too much money in mine to put it at that sort of risk. I imagine the inline pumps more robust for this but the VE pumps are still very capable. I would run a 2 tank system that heated it and switched when warm them back to diesel to flush before switching off. The 6bt run fine on wvo, how well and for how long would depend on which system you go with. Heat & filtering are the key. I think you know this and I cannot answer your question from personal experience on a cummins. I have dabbled with bio but only ran 50/50 and blended svo with pump diesel 20/80. Someone with 1st hand experience will probably jump in. Cold wvo is hard on I/P's and cokes up injectors causing bad spray pattern damaging cylinder walls and unburnt WVO ends up diluting the lube oil. If you are gonna run wvo my advice would be to filter b4 putting in tank and then heat & filter again (finer the better) have 2 totally independent pump/filter/tank systems. I would also keep a closer eye on the lube aswell.here is a link to a svo thread http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380&highlight=biodiesel

Gaza

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ohh I agree. I just finished my WVO conversion on My 300TD today. 2 Tank all the way. I've run my PSD on it for 3 years now. Also a 2 tank system. I'm not a big proponent of the 1 tank system either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link Gaza. I'll check it out. I'm hoping someone actually has first-hand experience.

There is a lot of info out there on 1 tank v. 2 tank systems. Elsbett (a German company) makes conversion kits and part of their kit is modified injectors which alter the spray pattern.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the link Gaza. I'll check it out. I'm hoping someone actually has first-hand experience.

There is a lot of info out there on 1 tank v. 2 tank systems. Elsbett (a German company) makes conversion kits and part of their kit is modified injectors which alter the spray pattern.
Go two tank and go cheap esp on these IDI's. I spent 1700 on my PSD with all that name brand crap and 250 on my WVO system and I feel safer and better about my homebrew than I do the expensive stuff. Save yourself 1500 and buy some new shoes :)

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have been hearing from a shop that's done a few 4BT swaps that some grease comes out of the exhaust holes. Meaning that maybe its not combusting completely? Oil is properly heated, and it is on the 4BTs only. they are used Frito models, so a little confused personally. I don't see how the 6 cyl and 4 cyl could really have much difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been hearing from a shop that's done a few 4BT swaps that some grease comes out of the exhaust holes. Meaning that maybe its not combusting completely? Oil is properly heated, and it is on the 4BTs only. they are used Frito models, so a little confused personally. I don't see how the 6 cyl and 4 cyl could really have much difference.
It's so people can find the Frito Lay plant.:D

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
in stead of bio diesel or SVO, what about a WVO/#2 mix

What kind of modifications would be needed to make this work? could i run a 1 tank system? Fitting a 2 tank system would be difficult unless i move the spare tire somewhere. I don't have a trunk or bed and you can't legally have a fuel tank in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well in the summer you would have no problems. In the winter watch out though. Not necessarily from gelling of the fuel but of the Wax preciptating out and clogging filters and lining in your tank. Been there done that. Not fun. Went to a two tank a month later. But it worked fine all summer. This is in my Benz. Had a two tank in the PSD since the get go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My buddy has a 4bt in an old suburban and has approx 100,000 miles on WVO cut with approx 10% gasoline. He has a one tank system and a fuel line heater. He says that he can run this mixture to about the same outside air temperature as #2 diesel. He also runs it in his 6bt powered DODGE 3500 but doesn't have as many miles on WVO with that. I run a 50/50 mixture of WVO and diesel in my rabbit but I only have about 5000 miles doing that. Oh yes he filters down to 5 microns before it goes in his truck and he always carries extra fuel filters with him. He put an inline fuel pump so he can easily blead out the air when he changes filters.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Most, if not all, the WVO conversions / adaptations I've seen involve adding filters to the system (usually a big ol' heated filter) as a pre-filter for the existing fuel filter. Also, there are filters that are used as part of the collecting / cleaning process before you pump it into your tank.

Here's Frybrid's filter page: http://www.frybrid.com/filters.htm

Here's Greasecar's page for collection filtering products: http://www.frybrid.com/filters.htm

And, Golden Fuel's filter page:

http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/products_fuel_filters.php

It's really a question of what filters you want to run, how much $$ you want to drop into it, or whose system you want to get..

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, say I can get 220gal of SVO for $220. That comes out to $1/gal. I know you simply need to heat SVO to 160-180*F in order for it to run in a diesel. My questions are:

Running an inline filter/heater deal just before the lift pump, wouldn't the oil primed after the lift pump still be cold and un-usable? Or do you rig this joker something further in the fueling system?

If I run WVO is the same heater needed?

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, say I can get 220gal of SVO for $220. That comes out to $1/gal. I know you simply need to heat SVO to 160-180*F in order for it to run in a diesel. My questions are:

Running an inline filter/heater deal just before the lift pump, wouldn't the oil primed after the lift pump still be cold and un-usable? Or do you rig this joker something further in the fueling system?

If I run WVO is the same heater needed?
"Simply' heating VO to 160 is not as easy as adding a heated filter. You'll need a heat exchanger or two or three..........

·
Registered
55 Posts
What I'm trying to say is that no heated filter on the market will heat the fuel to 160. Surely one could make a tank heater to heat the fuel(in the tank) to 160 , but the lines and filter would still be filled with "cold" oil. You will need a real heat exchanger like a brazed plate heat exchanger or similar.

I'm not sure if you are saying that you plan on an inline heater AND a heated filter or if you think that a heated filter is available that will do both.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.