Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me a noob, but I am one here.

My question is this, What is the strongest tranny I can put behind this that will fit in an Explorer Sport.

I'm putting this in a trail rig, so it's going to be geared for crawling mated to dual Atlas TC's, and I don't want to be blowing any tranny's up. I have looked at the NV4500, but I'm trying to steer clear of a large tranny, since I need the room for the dual TC's. Also, it has to be a manual transmission and I'm looking for one that pretty well a bolt on deal. Would I be safe with a Ford ZF tranny?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Need to be overdrive? NP435 and T19 are good strong trannies, low first gear and and come mated to a 4bta already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, doesn't need to be overdrive, seeing as i'll probably never have the power to hit 5th gear with 36" Iroks

I'll look into those! Appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not true. Is this going to be a rock crawler?
yea, what the heck...

hitting OD shouldn't be a problem stock and the solution should just be the turn of some screws away otherwise :)

unless it weighs like 20klbs or something...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nope, doesn't need to be overdrive, seeing as i'll probably never have the power to hit 5th gear with 36" Iroks

I'll look into those! Appreciate it!
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to hit 5th gear with a 4BT???

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah it is.
If you're going to trailer it 100% of the time I could see not having OD, otherwise consider it a "must have option" with a diesel.

The 4BT is comparable to a stock 350 V8 in means of torque, it just makes it at much lower RPMs

If you're running something as strong as the Atlas why would you consider anything other than a HD transmission? For size & Strength the NP435 was really short and stout, low 1st gear (6.72 I think) and really short (good for a SWB rig).

Any why the need for two transfer cases? Wouldn't a doubler or Klune-V setup work better? The Atlas II is available from 2:1 low range up to 10.34:1 low range :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very cool, and the NP435 I've found is a dime a dozen. Who ans what kind of conversion kits do I need to be loking at with regards to the 4BT/NP435, or is it almost Bolt-On?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts