Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm typing on the laptop and I'll post pics in a few minutes from my phone...
I've never messed with diesels very much and working on the first start of my engine. It's a Cummins B3.3T with the Zexel pump. I've looked over the forums and asked dr Google but I don't know which adjustment is which on the pump...
The throttle is the first pic, from what I'm reading in the manual the second pic is the cold start timing advance, I think...What adjustment is the lever in the third picture? is this the smoke screw?

The engine was rebuilt several years ago and has been sitting on the crate for 5-6 years. It's filled with oil, I went ahead and filled it with coolant (I just capped off the lower water pump outlets, leaving the thermostat out and open)-I'm only planning on running it for a minute at a time, but I want to get it running smoothly... it's got oil pressure when turning over (as stated in the manual I turned it until I got oil pressure before getting fuel into the system-running mid 40s-50s just turning, into the 70s when it was running). The fuel system (low and high pressure) is primed, it's getting fuel into the cylinders (white smoke on firing). I've gotten it to run a few times, but not smoothly...tons of white smoke which I expected considering we were trouble shooting why it wasn't starting on its own-it has a bit of diesel to expel...

It will start on its own but it's shaking around (its just sitting on the crate) and spitting tons of white smoke out, which I'm guessing is just the so-far-unburned diesel working its way out...I'm wondering what I need to start adjusting to get it to run smoothly...which adjustment is which...I can't seem to find any pics of the Zexel pumps identifying which is which...

Please and thank you!!!!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I thought I could draw on my photos before posting, but I guess I'm not smart enough to do that...The top lever, with the adjustable stop-screws on either side, is the throttle, correct?

The bottom lever, with the two circles on the left side and has the adjustment screw that contacts the solenoid, is the cold-start feature?

What is the lever in the middle that doesn't seem to be connectable to anything?

I'm also going to post a video of the first start...can anybody tell me what my problems are?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nevermind...the video is too large for the server to process...basically I can't hear any unusual knocks, it's just rattling around, spewing a bunch of white smoke, and won't idle up...moving the throttle doesn't get it to speed up very much at all

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
White smoke indicates a problem and there are several possible cause. One can be a clogged fuel filter. Second is incorrect timing for the injection pump. Third is low cylinder compression which results in poor burning of the fuel. Could be stuck rings or badly worn cylinders. A fourth cause can be water getting into the combustion chamber due to a leaking head gasket or cracked head or block. If this engine sat for a long time with residual fuel in the injection pump that could be causing problems too. Could have sticking injectors due to the same issue. Might try to run a diesel cleaning agent like Seafoam through the system.

Now for the levers on the injection pump. The top one is the throttle. The bottom one is likely a cold start pump timing advance. It would have an electrical connection somewhere on the engine for a 12V source. More of a smog item than an absolute requirement. That lever in the middle is likely a mechanical shut down. I believe I see a solenoid on the back of the pump with no wire attached. That is likely the electric control for pump operation. It should have 12V for the pump to even operate unless it has been disabled. Do you have the engine serial number? I might look on Cummins Quick Serve and find more info.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The engine was a total rebuild, totally dry on the inside as it had never been started. The fuel system has been primed, all cylinders are getting fuel.
When I was trouble shooting I took the plunger out of the solenoid-I didn’t have a way to supply energy once I stop jumping the starter.
I looked on the quickserve and didn’t really find anything helpful to me, but just inncase-68301819

·
Registered
100 Posts
One thing that strikes me as odd in your picture is the fuel return banjo bolt. Does not look correct to me.

I've seen it before where someone inadvertently puts the wrong banjo bolt into the fuel return location and the VE won't build any internal pressure, therefore it won't run for beans. That restrictor banjo could end up in a different location and starves the pump at the same time.

If you don't have experience troubleshooting diesels you should really enlist someone local with some skill to help you here. Pretty easy to ruin a fresh engine if it hasn't been properly run in yet.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to put a spacer under the bolt from the fuel filter that goes into the pump (on the left side in the pic, red steel formed line, yellow paint on it)...the formed steel line didn't give me enough space for the filter to rest above the intake manifold...Is that the one you're seeing?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I brought it to Phoenix to get it started at my Father in law's house...he's got more space, a lot of tools that I don't have. I'v also got a brother in law trying to see if a diesel mechanic friend of his will stop by to help...It starts easy, it just won't throttle up very much and when it does it's not running as smoothly...Timing looks to be right where it's supposed to be, per the manual, but I might not be reading it correctly or looking at the right marks-I don't really English very good sometimes. I'm thinking it's a fueling issue...just not sure whether it's too much or not enough (or how to fix it)...If nothing else, it at least starts now so I can find somebody to help troubleshoot once I get back home

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
A swapped banjo bolt could be an issue. Sure wouldn't want to buy a replacement injection pump like that one. Part number is 4983959 and I found a list price of $5878.64 at one source but another shows the MSRP of $3740.34. Of course you can get one cheaper. Some had it down to $3300. Expensive sucker.

How did you put a spacer there. That banjo bolt is only so long.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, if a banjo bolt is longer than the fitting that means IT'S THE WRONG BANJO BOLT. Banjo bolts have holes that must line up with the fitting. I bet the holes in your banjo bolt are cut off by that spacer you put in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts