Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
I am currently an undergad student studying Mechanical Engineering at Birmingham University. For my automotive module this year we have been grouped together into teams tasked with designing a car to beat the current electric land speed record! This means the car has to travel around 350mph. My job is to design the suspension for the vehicle, however, I have never designed suspension completely from scratch before so would be grateful if anyone could give advice how to go about starting the design and what steps are required to reach a final design.
The car can be assumed to have a mass of about 2 tonnes and will be tested as the Bonneville Salt Flats, USA.

I have currently been considering independant double-wishbone suspension for the front and some form of dependant rear suspension at the rear..

Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
hey,
I am currently an undergad student studying Mechanical Engineering at Birmingham University. For my automotive module this year we have been grouped together into teams tasked with designing a car to beat the current electric land speed record! This means the car has to travel around 350mph. My job is to design the suspension for the vehicle, however, I have never designed suspension completely from scratch before so would be grateful if anyone could give advice how to go about starting the design and what steps are required to reach a final design.
The car can be assumed to have a mass of about 2 tonnes and will be tested as the Bonneville Salt Flats, USA.

I have currently been considering independant double-wishbone suspension for the front and some form of dependant rear suspension at the rear..

Thanks for any help,
Bump for the day crew.

You have reached a web site dedicated to swapping diesel engines into assorted vehicles. Suspension design for land speed racing (LSR) is not a normal topic here. Many of our members have diverse talents, you might get lucky.

The Bonneville Salt Flats hosts 2 LSR organizations:

Speed Week in August, World Finals in September and several events at El Mirage,CA (this course is too short for your needs

World of Speed in November

Good luck,

Russ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Southern California Timing Association also runs LSR events at El Mirage Dry Lake. Might look up their web page.

A car that I've been slightly involved with has no rear suspension at all. It is built the same as a racing Kart in that the axle shaft is carried in bearings mounted directly to the chassis. the front wheels do have a conventional SLA-arm design. I think from a Ford Pinto because so much of the hot rod aftermarket parts are intended for that design. Not at all uncommon for these cars to have little no suspension. In some classes you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between an LSR car and a Drag Racing car. Jay Roach's (RIP) "Zip Code" car was a prime example of a dual duty racing car as he raced it in both LSR events AND in drag racing events.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts