Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been planning for a long time to swap in a 4BT Cummins into my 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 when my 4.8l craps out (she's only got 120 000km, she'll last a long time). However I've had a hard time finding any 4BTs. I realized though that in my back farm fields I have quite a few old trucks with 6.2 diesels. Looked around online and couldn't find anyone who's done a 6.2 swap into a NBS truck. Any thoughts? Either way I'm gonna be rebuilding one of the 6.2 for extra school credit. From what I've read, the wiring will definitely be the hardest part of the the swap if I do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wiring to make the motor run will be the easiest part of the swap. If keeping the factory 4l65e (I believe), you will need a standalone transmission controller. The gauges will be the tricky part. Find wiring diagrams for each gauge and splice into pigtails for the sensors accordingly.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
I put a 6.2 in a 79 Chevy many years ago. It was easy since it had on computer stuff. I used a push button switch to activate the solenoid that turned on the glow plugs. When the solenoid clicked again I let the button off and started the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go to the Detroit part of this forum. A guy swapped a diesel into a GMT800, it was a 453, but it will be the same idea, over all.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There is a gentleman(don't know his name) who specializes in 6.2/6.5 engines, late 6.5's are more durable than early engines, search around 'til you find him, it might save you some heartache in the long run.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to disagree edpruss. The late blocks were more prone to cracking due to the casting process and piston oil squirters in the block. Best 6.5 blocks were the 92-93 599 block. Best between the 6.2 and 6.5 was the 82-83 red blocks. Very high nickel content and the 6.2 bottom end is regarded to be much stronger than the 6.5. If you're talking about any 6.5 block including those not cast by GM than the 01+ navistar blocks are better than any of the GM blocks but top dog is the new peninsular p400. Cost an arm and a leg but have every kink worked out and are still in production through 2016.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are going to try this swap start with a 6.5 with a mechanical pump. The 6.2 is not a bad motor but would be very underpowered compared to the 4.8 V8. The 6.5 turbo is stronger but your going to have a heck of a time making the 4L65 and electronics work. It would be way cheaper to to fix your motor or swap a 5.3 or 6.0 in and call it a day.

Not saying the project isn't possible but it's going to be extreamly difficult and really doesn't make sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts