Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO have any of you guys swapped a 6BT & AUTO TRANS INTO A 1986 E300 Ford . IT'S A MOTOR HOME .
It now has a 460 & C6. in it.
.... I'm wanting a Motor home . That I can pull a 18 ft trailer & either my 72 Bronco on or my 1995 Jeep Grand
Cherokee. Or pull a Flat Pontoon Boat ..
... My Motor Home is 28ft long. & A DUALLY.

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
Here one from about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, seems all the photos have disappeared. This one converted to a manual transmission. I believe there have been one or two others. One issue that I remembered was the turbo placement. The low rear manifold like found in medium duty Ford trucks seemed to work best. Stock Dodge manifolds were a bit too wide for that engine compartment. 6BT in E350 - 27' Winnebago

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CHAR .... I'm not sure I want to spend that much money for something I might not use but twice.
But my hunting Buddy & I were talking about how we could keep going & doing something in our latter years .
We came up with pulling that 460 gas killer. & putting in the 6BT & GET MAYBE ABOUT 10. NO LONGER 5MPG.
& go to say Colorado & FISH for a week. & Maybe go out to Utah for a week. & Hunt . & Pull the Bronco or the Jeep .
But that 6BT with a little work should pull good.. Suspension is good on that old motor home . So a new set of tires .
& Over Haul the bath room in that camper . & GO.

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
Fuel mileage might get into the 15 MPG range or a tad better. We've seen a couple E350 van conversions which are essentially the same chassis. Depending on which 6bt you use you may need an intercooler. I believe the guy who did the one I posted only kept it for about a year of so and sold it. Your OEM radiator is probably big enough. Doesn't take a lot to get a 6bt into the 250-300 HP range and it would have tons of torque. The CPL1553 that came in medium duty trucks was 230 HP and 605 lb ft torque. That was the most powerful 6bt road engine offered in stock form. On the first gen VE pump engines you'd probably want to change the turbo to the HX35W and add an intercooler. What part of Colorado do you go fishing. I've sort of wondered all over that state and a big part of Wyoming in my western travels.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey guys. Thanks @char1355 for remembering my build. I haven't checked it in ages. Not sure what happened to the photos. I still have them if @papitt or anyone else is interested.
The project was an undertaking but totally worth it. I think I put 40 or 50 thousand miles on the RV before I sold it. I lost track of it a few years later. I'd guess there was over 100k on the conversion by the time I lost track of it.

The Econoline engine compartment is small, but the 6BT will fit. About a knuckle's clearance all around. My conversion cost about $10k but I did a whole lot more than needed. I think it was about 4 months before I could move it under it's own power and another 2 before it was roadworthy.
The power improvement and fuel economy gain were definitely worth the cost and effort to me. A conversion would be a lot of work and cost to be used once or twice a year.

I'm still driving a Cummins but downsized to Truck Campers now.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS Char & JOZ. yES IF YOU CAN repost up any pictures & stories .. I think others will still love the story & alot of people just don't know what can be done.
.. I'm lucky because I OWNED A PARTS STORE FOR 30 YEARS. THEN I'VE SPENT 10 YEARS AT a Dodge diesel truck dealer ship. DURNING THE PROPER YEARS 99 TO 2010 & Then at a freight liner shop & parts sales.
SO I know techs in 20 different towns . my Only issue is now I'm 72 & work is getting tougher but I still farm & work daily on my farm.. & I'm much happier than some of my class mates .
........Char I've not fished in Colorado, as I've only worked the last 50 years .
& I'm a big hunter & Have been to lots of TEXAS & N Mexico Hunting . But one of my farms in town had a 10ac Lake on it & I grew up fishing for the 1st 45 years of my life . My hunting buddy & I were talking about ... Maybe we could build this Motor Home & go fishing, He'll retire in about 2 years . & Fishing might be easier than hunting .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Guys - see if you see photos now. Apparently I'm not permitted to edit more than 10 posts in 7 days so the rest will have to wait a week! I'll keep updating as I can. I'm loading the photos into 4BTSwaps now instead of linking them to my Google account. This should keep the photos visible to folks on this site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts