Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey out there I am looking for any information on how to swap a 4BT into a 1978 Ford F-150 4x4. Right now I have a 351M, NP435 Trans and NP205 T-case, I also have available a C6 trans I could change the tail shaft on to mount the NP205.
I am stationed in CA and wouldnot be able to drive it on the street as far as know but I would like to start and maybe finish the build while I'm here.

I also have a 1979 F-150 2x4 I would like to transplant the body of onto a 1994- 1998 Dodge Cummins 4x4 with a 5 speed. Any Ideas there would be great too. I (the bank) own a 2001 24V 2500 Quadcab 4x4 with a slush box right now but the payment is killing me.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I am stationed in CA and wouldnot be able to drive it on the street as far as know but I would like to start and maybe finish the build while I'm here.
You might be surprised.. I've read a bunch of folks' reports on this site (and others) that the swap in the People's Republic of California is accepted by the CARB. And, IIRC from my days when I held an unlimited Test / Repair smog license out there, as long as the engine is same age / newer than the vehicle (or matches one that was offered the year of the vehicle or later) and you had the smog equipment appropriate for whichever was newer, then it would get through.

The process back then was that you'd go to get it smogged at the local mechanic, it fails because things are modified. Then you go to the state-run referee station where they take a look at what you've got in it, confirm it's legit, then put a new sticker under your hood that allows you to get it inspected (if needs be) at the local mechanic in the future and the stuff to update the fuel type in the registration information. Went through it on a couple of propane conversions I did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts